❊You're in my head❊

It is clear to everyone that the Uchiha patriarch seems to be in a fouler mood than usual

It is clear to everyone that the Uchiha patriarch seems to be in a fouler mood than usual. When attending the village meetings, he spoke little but gave intuitive advice and fought for the Uchiha rights. Most feared his serious disposition since it always felt as if he was but a caged lion waiting to break free and destroy them all.

Yet today, his frown is more pronounced and his eyes are heated with anger. No one deems it fit to converse with him, leaving him in a fuming state as village matters are discussed. His friend, Senju Hashirama, gazes between the other clan leaders then him in a cycling fashion. Concern plagues his features, and finally when the meeting ends and everyone begins to leave, his bravery (or more his lack of fear of his best friend) pushes him towards the frowning Madara.

"Is there something going on?"

Madara rises from his chair, his lips sealed with little inclination to talk. His eyes meet Hashirama's and narrow. As always, he can vaguely assume what's on the Hokage's mind though the man feigns ignorance well. In this particular moment, there is a knowing sheen to his gaze that worries him.

"Hm, just some personal matters."

"Haha, I can't imagine you having interpersonal problems when you don't have a social life."

"What a rude way of calling me anti-social."

"That wasn't my intention," he laughs but becomes solemn for the next topic. "Mito told me there are a lot of whispers in the noble world, and you are connected to these whispers."

Madara's expression doesn't flinch. "Now that they aren't warring, the clans sure do enjoy idle chat."

"True, true. But idle chatter is the result of peace being in play. Maybe not the peace we intended but the common folk certainly are living better lives."

His positivity is too much to counter that Madara keeps his retort to himself. "Mhm."

"But one particular chatter caught my attention," Hashirama adds, his knowing glint returning.

However, before he can discuss his findings, his brother joins in with the usual face of dislike. "The girl that the Umemoto despised is now disowned."

Hidden to the common eye, Madara's gaze widens at the news. You always held high regards for your clan and defended them despite having been slighted. There was an undiluted loyalty when you spoke about them. To be outed by the clan you swore to serve... well, he can certainly understand the position you now face.

Both Tobirama and Hashirama spot the mild shock in the Uchiha, interesting them even more. Tobirama continues his portion of the conversation, now with a more accusing manner. "Due to my brother's command to not delve deeper into the other clan's inner workings, we cannot ascertain the reason for her banishment. Nor did the Umemoto representative announce it, probably to keep their outdated traditions in play."

"The Tobirama believes something is outdated?" Madara scoffs.

Hashirama chuckles at this, "HAHA I know! So weird! Is this because the Umemoto's are still being annoying in setting you up with someone from their clan?"

Tobirama glares at his brother, silencing then depressing him. "The girl in question was thrown out by you, correct?"

Madara returns to a guarded expression. "What about it?"

"Why did you throw her out?"

"That isn't any of your business."

Tobirama growls and crosses his arms, "Slanderous accusations have arisen, most pertaining to your involvement with her. If a member of the village founders is linked to these rumors--"

"You do know, Tobirama, that I haven't the slightest interest in caring about my reputation."

Hashirama interjects, "But I think it's best just to listen to these rumors." Madara closes his mouth and eyes the white-haired man with forced attention.

Tobirama takes the chance to announce them. "The main one is that she is harassing you to marry her so that she can re-establish her stature in high society." A pause ensues to gauge Madara's reaction but he provides little for any assessment. "Another is that she is an escort that frequented your estate. She tried to have another rendezvous in the morning but she angered you."

Madara does well to hide his smirk at the most preposterous one while Hashirama emits another laugh.

"The last one is that she is lying to men stating that she is pregnant to entrap them. You are the latest in her ploy and you threw her out."

The last rumor burns Madara's emotions and his anger reignites. "Is this what the nobles like to gossip about? How imbecilic... Maybe peace is being too good on them and they are becoming complacent. Maybe another war is needed?"

"Come on, Madara," Hashirama laughs, "don't say things like that."

Tobirama finds insult to his remark but he does happen to catch the answer he was looking for. But to avoid any more ire from the Uchiha, he keeps his findings to himself. "It'd be best to stay away from her, more for her sake. Should anyone think that she is carrying a child of Uchiha Madara, many will try to kill her."

Madara blanks his expression for a final time and pivots on his heel to leave. "That... is of no concern to me."

The two Senju brothers watch his back as he retreats to his recluse. Although he was quick to leave, the brothers already spotted the millisecond of tension when Tobirama mentioned the danger you face. It was enough for them to connect some dot between you two, but there is still much left unknown.

[end of chapter 10]

[x]

A/N: A little bit of Madara's side of things. Happens rarely but hope you've enjoy! Also the reunion will be soon, don't have to wait longer for that haha