❊Aburame Bugs... are kinda gross❊

A/N: I am going to take a small break

A/N: I am going to take a small break.. probably a week off. Caught COVID and it's been awful. So yeah, be back soon!

[x]

It has been a while since you've been dolled up to an extensive degree. You spent the whole day working on your hair, taking a long bath, and painting your nails. The result has you in a regal state of beauty especially when you don your fanciest kimono, one in a deep navy color with stitched crimson flower petals dancing about--both colors of the Uchiha. 

You finish painting your lips a vibrant red when a knock echoes from the door. "Yes?"

The door opens to the sight of Toneri, who at first wears a default smile but drops it in shock. You wonder if it's because you've discarded your staple casual attire.

But then he states his concerns. "My lady," he begins, "did you know that you will not be attending tonight?"

"W-What?" you gasp as you step forward. "But I planned it, I thought I'd host it too. I even have a speech written and..." Your cheeks drown in a painful blush. "Where is Madara-sama?"

"He is waiting by the entrance to greet them."

"Can I go talk to him?"

"I do not think that is a good idea." He spots your frantic plea and realizes that anything he says will do little to pave your misconceptions. "I will bring him to you."

You watch as he travels away and out of sight. Patience depletes with every passing second, your nerves at a cataclysmic state until finally Toneri returns with Madara in tow. The man wears his usual navy tunic with pants, sandals and his hair as spiky as ever. Despite little effort, his handsome features exude a powerful presence of strength.

He too inspects you, but you receive no compliment. "I thought you were aware of your role."

His lack of sympathy destroys any hope you had left in your attendance. "My role?"

"You are to be held a secret until we can no longer hide your pregnancy."

"But I planned this. Shouldn't I attend and make sure everything goes smoothly?" you counter.

"Don't be preposterous," he scoffs.

You too show a bout of stubbornness and hope to gain your place through reasoning. "I do not believe I am being preposterous. I promise I will be an adequate host and will not let anything about the pregnancy slip."

"Tell me, how will you answer when they ask why you, an Umemoto--"

"I'm not an Umemoto," you add.

"--An Umemoto," he doesn't budge, "is here being a host amongst the Uchiha?"

"To show a unified front. To show that Konoha is a village where clans work together for the collective." 

Your practiced statement does little to convince him, but he does recognize the effort. "You really have this planned out."

"I do! Please allow me to host it, Madara-sama." You bow your head slightly, your voice pleading earnestly.

You can feel his eyes on the crown of your hair. He gazes at you with thought, but it isn't in your favor. "No, you have no connection to the Uchiha. Our nightly activities do not count as a proper reason for your appearance. Now, be obedient and remain in this room."

You are not given any opportunity to respond as he leaves swiftly. You know he had departed your side of the estate by the sound of his footsteps. Toneri must now deal with the aftermath as much as he tried to rid himself of the duty.

"I am sorry, my lady. I have to put a barrier around your room."

"W-What?! You really do not trust me to leave this room?" you cry out.

"It's not a matter of trust--"

"I am sure it is. He doesn't trust me to be a..." A what? A companion? A hostess? You are currently nothing to him so why did you delude yourself into thinking that you could host? Only the wife hosts, and you possess not an ounce of his affections, of his respect, or the reputation to be able to call yourself that. 

"The Clan Leader does not trust many people. The Aburame clan uses insects in their jutsu which is highly useful in infiltration. We need to place a barrier around your room to make sure nothing comes from their visitation."

You cannot argue with this, but it does not deter you from assuming another ulterior motive. "I see. I suppose it is clear that I am to stay here tonight."

"Yes."

"Fine, I will not be any more of a hindrance than what I am already." You reach for the speech you prepared and hand it to Toneri. "Can you at least hand this over to him? He can pick and choose what he wants from it to make it into his own."

As he skims the parchment, he frowns at your sullen mood. "Please do not say that you are a hindrance. I am sure that the Clan Leader does not see you as that."

You smile, "How funny to see our roles reversed, Toneri-san... but my positivity has been drained and I wish to retire for the night."

It's his queue to leave, and he does so silently. As he places the incantation around the room, he thinks back to the expression Madara made when you bowed. Confliction, so plain to see. He appears to want nothing more than to have you beside him, but his paranoia and pride restrain him. 

[x]

Padded footsteps make their way to your room and stand outside with the intention to enter. Hesitations laces each finger with molasses, slowing their movement against the door frame. But finally, they knock. No one answers. They open the door slightly, enough for an eye to scan the room.

There you remain in your bed, asleep. The kimono you had worn earlier lays scattered on the floor as well as your hair accessories. The once pristine makeup is now a mess on your face, but it is clear from the mascara that runs down your cheeks what ensued. 

Madara closes the door as the sight torments his consciousness. Desperately he smothers his feelings. He cannot understand why he continues to allow his guard to drop around you. Mistake after mistake have followed since when all he desires is solitude.

Although it was definitely for the best for you to remain here during the event, he wonders how different it would have been had you been by his side. 

And he yearns for it.

[end of chapter 19]