❊I just can't keep still❊

A rhythm finally settles into your daily life at the Uchiha estate

A rhythm finally settles into your daily life at the Uchiha estate. You awaken a bit after sunrise and ready yourself for the day. Breakfast takes place shortly afterwards with the companionship of Madara. You train three days out of the week. There is one day spent at Tobirama's office as you acquire information to ban the sale of wives, and the last three days are spent working for half a day at the flower shop then lazing around the estate.

On these days, you feel the most unsettled. You would prefer to work or train, but Madara has instructed that you be limited in your efforts. Tobirama can only provide a few hours one day on the project which leaves you with a lot of free time. Had you not been staying at the Uchiha estate, you'd have been at work almost every single day.

Alas, Inoichi's girlfriend is now taking over any time you are not available while you take it easy. But when will people understand that you cannot take it easy?

"Excuse me, Toneri-san," you call out as you approach him in a hallway nearby your room. He pauses what he was doing-- a simple task of watching over the maids-- and smiles in your direction. 

"Yes, my lady?"

"I told you to stop calling me that. I am merely a guest," you pout. "Is there anything I can do to help around the estate?"

He takes a moment to parse your request. "I cannot think of anything a guest can aid in."

The corner of your lip twitches. He certainly carries quick wit. "I noticed Madara-sama inundated with work, and I think I can be of some assistance."

He continues to ponder, "While the help is needed, I doubt he would want any aid from a pregnant woman."

"Then may I speak to him on this matter?" you push.

"He will reject you."

"I know that he may think that I have not proven myself, but maybe there is something for me to do?"

Toneri's smile does not waver until finally he decides on a course of action. "Follow me," he says as he turns on his heel. You do as told, walking behind him until you reach an unfamiliar section of the estate. You do recall that Madara disappeared near this area for long periods of time but never were you aware that it was his office.

Toneri knocks on the door before sliding it open. "Lady [F.Name] wants to see you."

Madara undoubtedly gestures to allow you inside; you can see nothing from behind Toneri, but the white-haired man nods for you to step forward. The moment you do, the door closes shut behind you.

"What is it?" He appears drowning in documents and annoyed by the intrusion.

"Madara-sama," you begin as you step forward. "I want to be useful in some manner."

"How so?" he sighs.

"Anything with estate management."

"Weren't you overwhelmed with that tiny estate you held as a wife?"

"C-Certainly not." You want to admonish his description of your household but relent upon realizing that the Uchiha family far supersedes what your ex-husband took care of. "I may have put a lot on my plate, but that didn't mean I wasn't excelling."

A perturbed sigh escapes him, and he sends his attention over to you. "We do not even know if you carry my child. How can I deem you trustworthy enough to manage this sensitive information?"

"I know I carry your child, but I can't convince you until the baby is out... There has to be something I can aid in."

Madara sets down his pen and places his elbows on the table, resting his chin on the top of his hand. He may be staring at you, but you are sure his mind is elsewhere as it concocts an idea. 

You wait patiently. Time flits by, second by second and finally...

"I have two events that I must plan for. They require precise attention to detail as well as a multitude of tasks. Toneri and I have been deciding on where to start, but with my own management of the clan and the village, I have seen little progress on it. Toneri is capable of performing this on his own, but I am interested to see your touch on the matter."

The more he speaks, the more he sees your eyes light up with excitement. "May I ask what the events entail?"

"One is convincing the Aburame clan to join Konoha. Usually, the Senju are the ones who host these events, but the Aburame specifically asked for the Uchiha to host."

His explanation leaves you mystified in awe. "Wow, the Uchiha's certainly hold great favor in the shinobi world!"

"That is not the case. The reason they haven't joined Konoha in the first place was because they have been wary of the Uchiha. This event is to force the Uchiha to show goodwill and for the Aburame clan to keep an eye on us."

Your eyes become wide with horror. Not much else needs to be explained for you to understand the slighted hand that's been granted to the Uchiha's. "So this is to gauge whether the Uchiha are friend or foe... How rude."

"I would rather drop this innocuous event onto the Senju and leave it to the Aburame's imagination on whether the Uchiha are foes. Alas, the clan has tired of my aggressive disposition and would rather live in peace without their pride."

The ire of his troubles is present in his tone, but you feel the need to disagree with it. "From an outsider's perspective, I do not believe the clan is living without any pride. In actuality, it is quite the opposite. Every Uchiha I have met were upstanding individuals with a great deal of pride in their clan. Maybe we can showcase that in the event?"

Madara crosses his arms as he lets your words settle in. As much as he wants to place a boundary to his clan, your words are far too kind to allow any line to be drawn. "I will leave it up to you."

"Great! And the other event?"

"The announcement of my successor."

"Ohh, for Fugaku?"

"Yes." He offers no other commentary, leaving you clueless on where to start.

"I am not aware of the customs in regards to this. May we have a meeting on what is needed to prepare when you are less busy?" you ask.

"... I suppose." He shows restraint in emotion but it doesn't take long for his confusion to come cascading out. "Are you not inclined to ask about the child's place in this?"

"My child?" You consider the question before realizing the meaning behind it. He asks if you will feel jaded that your child will not become the Clan Leader, that the title will belong to someone else. There are no conflicts present in your heart and you give your honest answer. "Oh, well, all I ask for is that my child comes out healthy and lives a happy life."

Not a hint of deceit lies in your voice and for some reason he feels too unsettled by this. "You are too naïve."

"Those emotions aren't naïve. They are natural to have," you mumble.

He knows you will not see it any other way and relents with a chuckle. "It may be natural for the compassionate but not for the wicked."

"Another compliment?!" you gasp in jest. "I sure am spoiled by you, Madara-sama."

He hums in agreement and returns to his portion of work. "If you have any more questions, go through Toneri first. Tell him you have authority over the purchasing should you need it."

"Thank you!" you chirp before exiting the office.

[end of chapter 16]