❂In my dream, I am❂

Trigger warning for the 10 chapter arc: dubious consent, miscarriages, cheating, suicide, slight gore, and character deaths

A/N: It is a dark arc. We are now in a nightmare created by the Sharingan. To the outside world, it's probably been maybe an hour or two, but to the reader, it's a long time. Heavy emotions and topics will be the main theme in this, but remember that the reader-insert is doing her best to navigate it all. 

Author notes will also begin to be at the end to allow the continuity of the title. Except if I need to add trigger warnings.

[x]

[start of the crimson summer arc]

confused.

You can practically hear the heat in the air. The humidity infiltrates every crevice of the house as the cicadas torment the silence with their songs. Sections of your hair stick fiercely to your sweating skin, disrupting the comfort of your slumber.

As you raise, the sun's beams pierce through the door. Despite the odd crimson color of the sky, you continue to move as if it's just another day in your life. Your eyes scan the room until they land on the full-length mirror that shows your disheveled state.

Memories of the previous day do not revive upon recollection. You try to stand, but your feet wobble with weakness, and a sharp pain from your belly supersedes it.

"Mommy?"

A small girl, no older than five years old, opens the door. What visually stands out are her spiky black locks that show no signs of being tamed. Her eyes are proud, staunch with power that it reminds of you someone; someone you cannot recall.

"Mommy?" she tries again, this time louder and more annoyed. "You sleep too much."

You're shocked by her remark, but above all, you're shocked by how nostalgic the teasing sounds. "T-That's no way to speak to your mother," you admonish her softly as you finally rise out of bed.

She giggles and comes running over to you. "I'm only joking."

The manner in which she teases feels familiar. Your heart squeezes in pain as you do your best to remember the missing piece. Then another sharp ache torments your abdomen.

You hold in the discomfort as best you can in hopes of not alarming your daughter. She doesn't seem to notice your plight, and you take advantage of that ignorance. "What are you to do today?"

"Train."

"With who?"

"Uncle Sakumo and Cousin Kakashi."

You nod your head. There is relief in hearing the familiar names and that they still partake in your life. However, you recall someone else promising to train her. Your mind allows you some memory, and you ask, "Why not with your father?"