𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧 || 𝐣𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐯𝐚𝐬𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐳

it's funny how one little descion can change your life, isn't it? mine was making the mistake of taking a vacation the jamaica. don't get me wrong, the gorgeous white sand beaches and tropical beverages are not something i regret, but what i do regret is taking the late flight home.

when i left, i had a job at the new york police department, with an incredible fiancé, who proposed in the sweetest way possible right before i left. then, i decided to take a trip with my family to jamaica. when we were in the airport to fly back, our flight was overbooked, and there was a travel voucher for 400$, money i would use to help my nephew who's fighting cancer. i took the later flight, and when i touched down in new york again, i was informed that 5 and a half years had passed, and i've been missing and presumed dead for half a decade.

my life had completely shattered over the course of a simple flight.

at the hanger, i hear my nephew cal confused. "dad, if it really has been five and a half years, how am i still alive?"

my brother ben looks down at his son, "i don't know how any of this is possible buddy, but i promise, i will figure it all out." he says, kneeling down to my nephews level.

immediately i try and make a phone call to my fiancé, straight to voicemail. no answer. eventually, everyone's families were on their way to pick them up from the hangar. my dad, my sister in law, and my neice showed up. i looked for my fiancé, nowhere in sight.

once we get in the car, my sister in law grace is in tears, my nephew cal is hiding from his twin, my brother ben, with his head in his hands, trying to process everything that's just happened, and i'm sitting here dead silent.

"(y/n), i'm sorry jared couldn't make it to the hangar, is everything alright?" i hear grace call to the back of the van.

i stay silent.

eventually after i arrive back at my brother and sister in laws house, now with nowhere to live, no car, no money, no phone, nothing to my name, i decide to head to the precinct to see if i at least still have a job.

i walk into the precinct and i'm greeted with a hug from the captain. "long time no see (l/n)!" the captain chuckles. "it's only been a week for me." i smile back at him. "suprised you're getting back to work so soon?" the captain questions. "that is, if i still have a job here?" i ask. "of course, our policy doesn't exactly have a flight 828 policy in writing, so i don't see why not." he smiles. "thank you captain." i reply, walking towards the door.

that's when i see jared turn the corner, coffee cup in hand, golden ring wrapped around his finger. i pace out the door, but i feel my shoulder grabbed by a warm hand, and i'm escorted outside.

"how the hell is it possible you still look the same?" jared looks at me with disbelief in his eyes as we walk down the new york city pavement. "how is any of this possible?" i fake a laugh back, trying to pretend i didn't see his ring. he looks at me with sorry in his eyes. he knows i saw it.

"well, who's the lucky girl?" i stiff a slight smile. "lourdes" i hear him reply softly.

of course, she was always one to remind me how lucky i was to have him. after five and a half years, he belongs to her now.

"alright." i say as i attempt to turn my heel and walk off. his hand reaches for my wrist.

"(y/n), please don't do this. you can't blame either of us, you were gone for five and a half years, we held a funeral for you! i never thought i'd be able to see you again." he states. a pit fills in the bottom of my stomach as i hear the words leave his mouth.

i stare up at him, with tears shallowing in my eyes. "can we do this later? please." i plead. he nods his head in slight agreement.

*time skip*

a couple weeks later, life's moving forwards, with weird visions and voices in my head, trying to rekindle my relationships. life's moving by in a blur. yet of course, my feelings for jared still lie here.

no one can expect me to let go of those feelings so fast. for me, i was gone a week, coming back to get married. now i come back, with nothing left to my name, and the love of my life is marrying my best friend. absolutely perfect, isn't it?

slowly, i start to rekindle a friendship with jared, strange as ever, and difficult to say the least, because everything's changed after i stepped off that plane. i'm having these awful visions and voices in my head, that we're all now referring to as callings, after a fellow passenger, kelly taylor was murdered.

eventually, one calling led to a facility, where it's believed many flight 828 passengers were being held and captured, as well as tested on.

robert vance with the NSA, jared and i, some members of SWAT, as well as ben and cal, were now sitting outside a facility, ready to make an enterance.

"cal, you have to go home, your mom is probably freaking out. it's not safe here." i hear ben tell his son.

"dad! i have to! i just know it! i have to be here, i have to help save the passengers!" cal yells.

we find an enterance on the side of the facility, and slowly make an enterance inside. flashlights in hand, gunshots go off, passengers are found, and everything goes to a blur.

all i can remember is hearing jared scream my name and everything blacking out. i wake up in a hospital bed, my head pounding, and i'm covered in blood. i look to my bedside and jared is sitting there, with his head in one hand, and one of his hands gripping onto mine.

i hear quiet sobs coming from him, as he looks up when i turn my head. "thank god you're okay" he cries. "i don't know what i would've done if i lost you again." he sobs. his hand is still clinging tightly to me. all i can do is hold his hand tighter and smile at him, with so many thoughts racing through my mind.

*time skip*

a couple more weeks later, and i've been solving so many different cases within the NYPD with the help of the callings, i'm promoted to detective, and jared and i remain partners.

one night after work, i'm sitting on my new apartment counter, drinking a hot chocolate with my cellphone in hand, when i hear knocking at my door. i hop off the counter and look out the peephole and there's jared, standing there.

i open the door and jared rushes into the apartment.

"J, it's 11 o clock at night, you should be home with lourdes, your wife!" i scold towards him.

he turns and looks at me. "i don't want to be home with lourdes, i want to be home with you. you're the one i love, the one i've loved for years on end now. there wasn't a day that went by when the plane was missing that i didn't think about you. i love you (y/n)."

"jared, i love you too, but i don't see how we can do this-" suddenly i'm up against my apartment wall, and jared's hands are at my waist, his lips smashing against mine. "i want you, and only you." he whispers into my mouth, breaking through the kiss.

a/n: let me know what you think of it here and any tips or constructive critism i could use <3