chapter 23: uninvited guest

Theon approached the two witches, slowly. Axel watched his advance, not saying a word.

"My soul is prepared." Said Theon, with the confidence of a prince.

"Very well." Said Mel, offering Theon her right hand while Arlene clutched on her left.

Theon placed his hand on Mel's and he felt a powerful aura that was her being.

"Are you sure about this, Theon?" Asked Axel behind him.

Arlene looked at Theon for any hesitations, she found none. Theon nodded as an answer. Arlene grabbed Theon's remaining hand and held it tight, reassuring Theon. Arlene then gave Theon a smile, and Theon grinned back, solemnly.

"now, close your eyes." Said Mel, as she closed her own. Theon and Arlene followed. Mel's grip tightened as she bowed her head in concentration. Soon, Mel begins her chant.

"Ut animorum nostrorum non videri" wisphered Mel. Unlike before, Axel already witnessed a powerful breeze and the light flickered uncontrollably until they sparked, the whole room went dim.

"Ut animorum nostrorum non videri" Mel repeated. By this time, Axel covered his face again due to the violent shaking of the ground which was much more drastic than the first. Axel noticed a faint crack at the floor at the base of Mel's foot. Her power was so intense, that a touch of her aura could break the ground below her.

"Ut animorum nostrorum non videri" Mel said, loudly. Axel watched as the crack below Mel was increasing in size, Theon and Arlene's eyes were still closed and their heads bowed down.

Suddenly and unexpectedly, when Axel expected the whole place would fall apart, everything stopped. The earthquakes, the cracks, the winds, everything stopped.

"Please tell me, you've done it!" Said Axel.

Mel, Theon and Arlene did not answer, their hands were still locked, heads still bowed and eyes still shut. They were completely still, Mel even stopped chanting her spell.

Something's wrong, thought Axel and he was right. For once in his life, even with the other three in the room being physically present, he felt he was alone, mentally and spiritually at least.

_______________

Theon found himself in a forest, bright green leaves were scattered throughout the ground. Trees were tall, bushes bearing beautiful flowers, were waving with the gentle winds, and the sun shines brightly above him.

"Theon!!" Someone called behind him and when he looked back, he saw Arlene's figure running towards him. When she got closer, she gave Theon a quick hug and asked, have you seen grandmama?"

"Here i am" said Mel, who was suddenly behind Theon, like magic. Theon was startled for a second but later regained composure to ask.

"Where are we?"

"What happened?" Asked Arlene. "Is this supposed to happen?"

Theon and Arlene stared at Mel, expecting an aswer.

"I don't know." Said Mel. "This wasn't suppossed to happen. if this was an illusion, we should be alone in our own thoughts, not with each other." Mel explained.

"Vienna?" Asked Arlene. "Perhaps, she did this?"

"Perhaps." Answered Theon.

"Perhaps." Mel repeated, looking vigilant. "We should get out of here, hold my hands..."

Mel offered her hands to Arlene and Theon, but before they could lay a finger on Mel's palms, thunder boomed from the heavens and dark clouds covered the blue sky. Darkness befalls the forest, the once blooming trees lost all of its leaves and only dark brown branches remained, the bushes were gone and the leaves that were scattered around them withered, causing them to be a dry and light brown in color.

"Hurry!!" Shouted Mel. "This storm isn't natural. I can sense the evil in it and it's ominuous." Arlene and Theon immediately grabbed Mel's hands. Arlene and Theon also locked hands with each other afterwards. Mel nodded to them both then she swiftly bowed her head and closed her eyes and wisphered:

"Ego pro fallamus" the thunders boomed louder than before, the sky was angry and the winds were furious. A flash of lightning in the dark sky illuminated the forest.

Theon and Arlene looked around with fear and they cringed at the loud screams of the heavens. Arlene grimaced at the sight of lightning, as a result she held Theon's hands much tighter.

"Grandmama," screamed Arlene, as another thunder boomed out. "Im scared!

"It is just an illusion, Arlene, a powerful one." Said Mel, without abandoning her position, nor opening her eyes.

"Ego pro fallamus!" repeated Mel, much louder than before.
"exaudi pectoribus cessare Invitis hoc illusio!"

Mel opened her eyes and looked at Arlene with sheer urgency. "Nothing is happening!"

"We have to try again!" Said Arlene, paranoia starting to kick in.

Out of nowhere, a slim figure, wearing blood red robes and a loose hood which conceals her wavy gray hair, stood a few distance before them.

"I would advice, you try nothing." Said the figure, with a slight crack in her voice. "This illusion of mine is quite potent."

The three placed their glare at the stranger before them. Arlene and Mel were startled by this unexpected stranger but Theon was the most surprised among the three. His eyes were filled with loathe as he screamed:

"Vienna!"

Arlene and Mel retreated immediately in fear, their hand lock is now broken.

Vienna gave them a wicked smile. "thank you for showing me the proper respect of fear." Her accent was british, similar to Theon, but her slang was exponentially more exagged and crooked in a way.

With a wave of her hand, the storm immediately subsided, but the dark clouds remained in the sky.

"Your illusion deprivation spell was much weaker than i remembered, little Mel."

Mel shook her head, anger fueled up. "So this is your new body, eh?" Mel reached into her pocket, preparing to target Vienna with her killing spell once and for all.

"Actually, no." Sighed Vienna. "This is my original body, thanks to my illusion you could finally see it, which is why---"

"Regardless," Mel smiled angrily. "This body you speak of, will be destroyed shortly!" Mel throwed her white lightning right at Vienna's wrinkled light face. Vienna quickly catched the jet of lightning with one hand and gracefully throwed it in another direction like it was nothing.

"What made you think that your little spark could even scratch me?" Vienna giggled, covering her mouth with her wrinkled hand. Her gray eyes shone brightly at the darkness of night.

"Now, what was i saying before you so rudely interrupted me with your boring new lightning toy?" Vienna continued. "Ah, yes... this is my real body which is why my immortal over there recognized me immediately." She looked at Theon with a huge smug on her face and continued.

"After all these millenia, there you are, Theon. What a happy night this is, but in your case.... happy three thousand years good night." Vienna smiled innocently at Theon who was also fueling with anger, fist clenching, hatred erupting.