chapter 19: the mystery of Mel

"You know Vienna?" Asked Theon, his face darkening.

"Enough with your foolish mind games, Vienna!" Shouted Arlene's grandma. "I know it's you, darkness as foul as this can only belong to you!"

"I am not her!" Screamed Theon, defiantly. His fists were clenched.
His eyes were filled with disdain, being accussed of being Vienna, the most horrid person he knows was insulting indeed.

Arlene faced her grandmother with sheer urgency. "Grandmama, this boy, he is not what you think he is. His name is Theon and... and... he is one of Vienna's victims."

The old lady stared at Arlene intently, studying her, all the while wondering if she was bewitched, manipulated, compelled or even possessed. Eventually, the old lady closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, calming herself.

"If what you say is true, what reasons that i have sense great power emanating from this... boy." The old woman cringed at the word, still unconvinced, but less aggressive now. Her eyes were still filled with loathe and spite, glaring at Theon with all her might.

"Grandmama," Arlene sighed. She looked at Theon briefly, feeling slightly apologetic.

"And how did he survive one of the most powerful killing spell that have ever existed?" Arlene's grandma continued. "There's only one person known to have survived it and that's Vienna!"

"..because, he's immortal." Said Axel solemnly, finally regaining his composure.

The old witch transferred her glare to Axel with lightning speed. Her brows furrowed.

"My good heavens, boy" she placed her hand on her chest, almost confused. "Do you even know what you're saying?"

"He does." Answered Theon with confidence.

The old lady ignored Theon and continued her stare at Axel, who didn't made his presence felt until five seconds ago.

"We saw him in the woods..." Axel continued, silently again. "Wearing the most peculiar outfit, and saying weird words."

Silence embraced the room, lights still flickering mildly. The sky was darker than ever before. The winds were wisphering silent tunes outside. The old witch's green eyes glowed within the dullness and silence.

Arlene's grandmother inhaled deeply and exhaled noisily. She closed her eyes tightly. Arlene stroke her shoulders while loosening her grip on her wrist which was still in her pocket. The light's flickering has ceased. Once again silence.

"Grandmama.." Arlene called out.

The old lady finally opened her eyes and trasnferred her stare from Axel to Theon, hatred has faded from those green eyes of hers and seems to be replaced with calmness and understanding.

"So, you're immortal." Said the old witch. "Which is why you survived
The death spell."

"Indeed" Theon nodded.

"Ah," the old witch nodded, being completely calm now. She bowed her head a bit and noticed all the mess she made. Dusts were lurking here and there. Dried leaves entered easily through the wide opened door. Portraits were lying on the floor, some were damaged. Arlene's grandmother looked up and her eyes were inspecting the place. Some parts of the walls were cracked due to her immense power, the coffee table was shatterred and its fragments lay in the light brown sofas.

"What a mess, eh." Axel shrugged. After all, he owns the place, cleaning it up would be a lot of work.

"I'll help you clean it up, Axel." Arlene nodded compassionately at Axel.  "Grandmama, we have to---"

Arlene's grandmother placed her hand at Arlene's cheeks with a mysterious smile on her face. She later faced the messed up area and with a wave of her hand, a miracle happened.

Right before their eyes, the portraits hang themselves up on the walls, the cracks were regenerating like healing wounds, the shatterred shards of the broken coffee table floated in the air and went to their respective places in the coffee table, the cracked glass was also regenerating like the walls were, the leaves were swept out with an invisible force, the door slammed shut and lastly, the dusts evaporated like pixie dust in the air. All the lights opened brightly as the morning sun, illuminating the room. The living room became more enchanting, than it was first constructed.

Arlene and Axel were astounded by the witch's magic. Their countenance was like a child seeing disneyland for the first time. Theon, already used to seeing miracles like this, calmly stared at the room with mild concerns. Arlene's grandmother placed her hands on her waist and gave the three of them a cheery smile and winked.

"So, you're a witch.." said Theon, raising his eyebrows. "Madam..?"

"Mel." Answered Arlene's grandmother, still grinning. "I am Madam Mel."

Arlene and Axel gazed at madam Mel with wide-amazed-astounded-wonderous eyes, then they looked at each other and smiled at the miracle.  It was like nothing they have ever seen before.

Mel spoke up to break the silence. "Now that has been taken care of... let's give our attention to the issue at hand; Vienna."

The two teenagers' astonishment perished at the sound of the witch's name. The mystery would soon be unfolded. How is Mel aware of the existence of Vienna who lived three thousand years ago?

All their focus landed on Mel, who looked back at them calmly as if their expressions were anticipated.

"Do you know Vienna?" Theon asked.

Mel inhaled deeply, reminiscing her darkest times. "Yes."

"How can we be sure it's the same vineinei person we're talking about?" Asked Axel. "I mean vouna, umm, veinana?"

"Vienna." Mel corrected. "She is simply the most powerful witch i have ever met, the creator of immortality."

"sounds like the same person, then." Said Arlene.

"...and how do you know of her?" Asked Theon intently.

Mel stared at Theon blankly. Her eyes darkened with self loathing. "...because, she was my mentor."