CHAPTER XXVIII

Melinda

Happy Birthday and many more.

Springfield MA; Age 10.

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to Melinda and Andrew... Happy Birthday to you!"

"Another chorus!" My mother yelled out and clapped.

My family began singing in the Jamaican style of the Happy Birthday song.

"Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday to you Dear Andrew and Melinda! Happy Birthday. Now, this is the birthday song! For Melinda and Andrew from everyone! Enjoy your special day. Be sure to have some fun! So gather around right now. Come and Sing Along. Happy Birthday to you now Drew and Mellie. Happy Birthday!" The group called out.

Andrew and I waited for our family to finish singing for us before we blew out the candle on our birthday cake. I couldn't wait to eat it, mom got us an oreo cookie and cream cake and I loved both Oreos and ice cream so it was perfect!

I closed my eyes and blew out my portion of the candles as Andrew did the same beside me; once the light in the candles had been blown out, we turned to each other and smiled.

Around us, everyone clapped congratulating us on reaching the age of ten years old.

"What did you wish for?" Andrew asked me.

I giggled mischievously. "More desserts and money for us!" I replied happily.

"What did you wish for?"

"Hm..." Andrew knitted his eyebrows together, "Maybe star wars action figure and to go to Jamaica again." He replied.

I pursed my lips together as I studied his face. "You want to visit there again?" I questioned him.

He nodded quickly and smiled brightly, "It was fun and I got to see the beach! So I want to go again." He said.

I matched his grin. "We can go again in the summer to see the rest of my family at the farm," I replied.

"Come on now, we gon' cut the cake!" My mother called out as she brought out the cake knife to cut through the ice cream cake for everyone.

My cousins, Dajuan, Chevelle, Damaris, Jalissa, and Khenan all pooled at the table eagerly waiting for their slice of cake, but since it was Andrew and my birthday, we got the first slices.

Nice and big too!