CHAPTER CXXI

Melinda

Yes, we meet again. In this lifetime; together forever.

"Your face is quite sour, my Empress," Kiraz remarked as we strolled through the palace corridors.

"I can't help it. I'm still mad," I grumbled.

"Well, the children may suspect something has happened to you if you keep your expression like that," he teased.

I huffed in response. I couldn't shake off the frustration I still felt about Lord Ophir's impromptu proposal at the astral ball. It had caught everyone off-guard, especially Chandrelle, who had fled the ballroom in shock and hadn't been seen since.

"How could he spring something up like that?!" I exclaimed, my anger bubbling to the surface. "How insolent of the Da Nehads family, especially Lord Ophir, to use a banquet dedicated to the victory of the soldiers to stage a public proposal!"

Kiraz continued to walk beside me, his arm intertwined with mine, patting my hand soothingly to calm me down. "Confidence, I suppose," he mused.

"And where did he even get the idea to propose on one knee? Huh?!! Why is everyone doing that all of a sudden?!" I vented my frustration.

Kiraz looked over and smirked, "Well, apparently the rumors have it that someone had witnessed my own proposal to you, and that spread among the fold. Now everyone is copying so they can have the same dramatic effect of a lover proposing to their one true love." He chuckled.

Our Earth-world habits and customs were slowly but surely infiltrating this world, often without our intent.

I grunted, "Regardless, we haven't even properly visited Lord Ophir's family estate since we rushed back at the High Pontiff's request. Now they think, after all this time, we are close enough to request an engagement?"

Kiraz raised an eyebrow. "Are you under the suspicion that Chandrelle is not in agreement with the union?" he inquired.

I pursed my lips. "Outside of her running away and not returning an answer, no. But she's always been rather direct that she's not interested in things like that until later. She wants to focus on the businesses. The Nehads have pushed us into a corner with that spectacle. Now, many people will be gossiping about the situation," I explained.

"Maybe she is feeling pressure since she is the only sibling of the Plarinus who is not married. I mean, even Lehamo is with someone," Kiraz pointed out.

I gave him a dry look. "By force, that poor girl has to deal with him," I retorted and sighed. "Do you think she'll say yes? I already said I forbade the union because I panicked! Now there is a true soured relationship between the royal family and the County of Caelkirk."

Kiraz scoffed, "They are not a significant enough family to warrant any kind of precaution, but I can understand where you are coming from. Perhaps Chandrelle will show up at today's banquet... it's Vibiana's engagement party, after all."

Ah yes, Vibiana's engagement party. Despite my attempts to persuade her to marry the Duke sooner, she had insisted on waiting until after the war efforts had solidified a victor. She wanted me to be there to witness her union with the man she loved. I couldn't refuse her request, so I agreed. But now, after three years since the proposal, we were rushing to make up for lost time and hasten the wedding.

We finally arrived at the area where we would eat with the children, and Kiraz lowered his voice.

"Perhaps later we can have a conversation with the Lord about his actions. I'm sure he had a reason to stage such an extravagant proposal," He suggested.