•The Hard Truth•

His existence mimicked a perpetual examination

His existence mimicked a perpetual examination. Each day was a relentless training ground for an unforeseen test. He delved deep into analyzing his surroundings to ensure triumph. However, his personal life was in disarray. His marriage teetered on the edge of dissolution, and his child bore the brunt of the fallout. The disintegration of everything around him felt like a suffocating weight, pressing down relentlessly.

Lately, he couldn't shake the feeling that he was the one inflicting the most pain on his child. The sight of Jeonghun's sadness pierced his heart, a constant reminder of the impact his struggles had on his innocent offspring. Despite his efforts, it seemed that Jeonghun's mother offered no assistance in alleviating the turmoil.

"Did you get a new place?" Goeun inquired with wide eyes. Haein swiftly opened the door and entered, carrying his sleeping son in his arms. Jeonghun was completely worn out, peacefully unaware of the conversation happening around him. Haein gestured to Goeun that he would return shortly before heading upstairs with his son. In his son's room, Haein carefully laid him down on the bed. He removed the little one's shoes and lovingly tucked him in under the thick blankets. A soft smile graced Haein's face as he observed his son sleeping soundly.

"My sweet angel boy! I apologize if I caused you any worry today. I'm truly sorry..." Haein murmured gently. Just as he was about to rise from the bed, he felt a hand holding him back.

"Appa!" Jeonghun mumbled sleepily. Haein smiled and leaned in to plant a kiss on his son's cheek.

"Yes...," Haein whispered, gently stroking his son's head.

"I missed you!" Jeonghun said. Haein smiled warmly at his son and planted another kiss on his forehead.

"I missed you even more,... Your Eomma mentioned you started taekwondo classes in the States. Why didn't you tell me about it when I called you every day?" Haein inquired. Jeonghun averted his gaze, shifting uncomfortably as he sat up and scratched his head.

"I... I... wanted to surprise you!" Jeonghun confessed with smiling eyes. Haein's smile widened at his son's explanation.

"Oh, is that so? Well... I can't wait for you to show me then!" Haein responded with excitement.

"I want a black belt, appa... just like you!" He repeated. Haein's eyes sparkled like never before as he cupped his son's cheeks in his hands.

"I will help you... You'll see, you'll earn that black belt in the future. I'm certain of it, Jeonghun-ah!" Haein assured with unwavering eyes. Without hesitation, he pulled his son into a warm embrace.

"Jeonghun-ah? You know I love you, right?" Haein asked, pulling back slightly from the hug. Jeonghun smiled softly and nodded in response.

"Yes, appa," Jeonghun replied with a warm smile.

"Good! Because I want you to always remember that, no matter what, I'm your father... and I will never, listen to me carefully, never leave you, okay? I love you, my Jeonghun-ah," Haein declared, gazing directly into Jeonghun's eyes. On the other side of Jeonghun's room was Haein's bedroom. Goeun had been quietly observing from inside the room, a smile forming on her face as she noticed his guitar resting by the side of his bed.