Chapter 4

After today's school day Delaney took me home, Lynette wasn't able to come over because her parents were gone.

I went into my room and fell asleep instantly when I got in my bed.

I woke up to my phone ringing. Great.

"Yeah?" I answered, not even caring who it was at this point.

"Did I wake you?" Marcus asked.

Damnit.

"Yeah but it's fine. I needed to wake up anyway." I said.

"Okay. I broke up with Mary." He said.

"Okay." I said.

"Now please Zoo let me fix this okay? I'm gonna make it up to you. I'll hangout with you and Lynette every single day if I have to, I'll give you a ride to school whenever Delaney can't." He said.

"Thank you. I appreciate it. I'm sorry all this happened between us." I said.

"All because of a girl who wasn't even worth it." He said.

"I'm glad you finally realize that." I said.

"I do. I have for a little bit, I just didn't know what to do." He said.

"It's alright Marcus. I'm over it." I said.

"Are you though?" He asked.

No.

"Yes." I said.

"I don't believe you." He said.

"You don't have to. It's fine I promise." I said.

"Alright Zoo I gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow." He said.

"Bye Marcus." I said.

I hung up, getting out of my bed. Somehow that call was comforting. Probably knowing the fact Marcus finally got his head out of his ass.

"Hey sis what're you doing?" Delaney asked.

"About to make some food." I said.

"Do you wanna go out to eat with me instead?" She asked.

"Sure." I said.

"Okay, get ready then." She said.

I nodded, going back up to my room and getting into presentable looking clothes. I fixed my make up and hair since I slept in it.

"Ready?" Delaney asked.

"Yes." I said.

She nodded, getting in her car as I got in with her.

"Why don't you drive? You have your permit." Delaney said.

"I only really drove with Marcus in the car." I said.

"Drive with me. It's okay." She said.

"Okay." I said.

I switched seats with her, turning on the car and getting out of the driveway. It didn't feel right without Marcus, we drove together with Delaney in the car all the time.

Delaney gave me the directions to the diner and I got there smoothly and safely.

"You're such a good driver. You're growing up too fast." Delaney said.

I smiled at her, turning off the car and getting out. We went into the restaurant and sat down. I noticed Mary was with her friends here.

"Oh God. Mary's here." I said.

"Ignore her. This is our time." Delaney said.

I nodded, looking through the menu.

"This is your fault Zoey!" Mary said.

"What?" I asked.

"You made Marcus break up with me. I will get you for this Zoey." She said.

"I didn't do anything." I said.

"Fuck you!" She said, spilling water on my shirt.

Damnit.

"Do you just wanna go home?" Delaney asked.

I slowly nodded as Delaney took me to her car. I got in the front seat and she drove us home.

"I'm so sorry Zoey." Delaney said.

"It's okay Laney. I deserve it." I said.

"You don't deserve that. Don't say that." She said.

I shrugged as she pulled in our driveway. Our mom had been at the bar like always.

"She's never around. It's so stupid." Delaney said.

"At least we have each other." I said.

"When I leave next year make sure mom is being a mom. You need a good life my love." She said, hugging me.

I went up to my room as I got a phone call. Marcus.

"Hey." I answered.

"Hey. You alright?" Marcus asked.

"No." I said.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

I started crying.

"I was out with my sister and Mary spilt water on me and said she's gonna come at me for making you break up with her." I said.

"That's uncalled for. I'm not gonna let that happen. But I do know something else is on your mind. What is it?" He asked.

"My mom. She's never around anymore and I worry that next year when Delaney's gone she's gonna be worst." I said.

"If she is I'm gonna make sure you have a stable home Zoo. That's not parenting. You shouldn't be your own parent at 15-16." He said.

"Yeah, I know." I said.

"Get some sleep tonight. Call me if you need anything." He said.

"I will. Goodnight Marcus." I said.

"I love you Zoey." He said.

"I love you too." I said.

I hung up again, taking off my makeup and getting into comfortable clothes. I got on my bed and fell asleep. I just wanted all of this to end.