Chapter 6

It was finally lunch, I was ready to go the fuck home.

"Are you okay Zoey? You look mad." Lynette said.

"Don't I always? And I'm fine, I just want to go home." I said.

"Name one time you don't want to go home." She said.

I laughed as Marcus came over to us, sitting next to me.

"You know it's not that cold out and you still have my jacket on." Marcus said.

"I forgot I had it on. I'll give it back after school or something." I said.

"Okay." He said.

After lunch we went to our 6th hour of the day. Last hour of the day. I wanted to go home.

Marcus texted me during class.

Marcus: Can you come over after school?

Me: Sure. Mom nor Laney will be home anyway.

Marcus: Why hasn't your mom been home?

Me: I told you, she goes out drinking and then stays with a bunch of dudes.

Marcus: I'm sorry Zoo.

Me: Don't worry about it. I'm fine.

Marcus: Are you sure?

Me: Of course.

I put my phone down as the bell rang. FINALLY.

I walked over to Dylan's car, getting in as Marcus got in the front seat.

"Dylan never lets me drive home." Marcus said.

Dylan got in, starting the car and driving us to their house.

Marcus and I went up to his room, it still looked the same as ever.

"Welcome back to my room, now can I have my jacket?" Marcus asked.

"Oh, yeah sorry." I said, taking the jacket off and handing it to him.

I sat on his chair, taking a deep breath.

"What's on your mind Zoo?" Marcus asked, sitting across from me on his bed.

"Huh? Nothing." I said.

"Bull." He said.

"I'm just tired I guess." I said.

"Bull." He said.

"I'm fine Marcus." I said.

I lied. I just wanted my mom home. I hadn't talked to my dad in a year, and my sister was leaving me next year.

"Bull Zoo." He said.

"You're just gonna keep saying that until I tell the truth?" I asked.

"Correct. Now speak." He said.

"Im just scared of my sister leaving next year. My mom doesn't parent and my dad left." I said.

"You have me and Lynette. You also have my parents and Dylan Zoo. You're okay." He said.

"I don't know." I said.

"You know I will always have your back. No matter if you're mad at me or I'm mad at you I'm still here for you." He said.

"Thanks Marcus." I said.

"Now get some damn sleep you look like you haven't slept in 500 years. What time did you go to bed last night?" He asked.

"Around 4." I said.

"What? Why?" He asked.

I shrugged, but it was really because I stayed up crying about my parents that aren't parents.

"Zoo. Tell me." He said.

"My parents." I said.

Marcus gave me a sad look and then hugged me. I took a deep breath.

"I'm here for you Zoey." He said.

"Thank you." I said.

I got out of the hug and laid on Marcus's bed, instantly falling asleep. Marcus was playing his games beside me.

I woke up an hour later and I was freezing my ass off. I started shaking as Marcus covered me with his blanket. It was cute of him to do that.

Not cute. Nice.

"I'll turn the fan off." Marcus said, getting up and turning the fan off.

I fell back asleep. I had woken up again and it was 8:30. I must've really needed sleep.

"Finally you're awake. You alright?" Marcus asked.

I nodded.

"Do you need me to take you home or do you just wanna stay the night? I don't want you home alone so if you're not staying here I'm staying with you at your house." He said.

"Even if I stay here I won't have clothes to change into." I said.

"You steal my clothes all the damn time. You can just take some from my closet." He said.

I gave him a thumbs up as I yawned. I changed into sweatpants from his closet, surprisingly we were the same size in everything.

I laid back in Marcus's bed, scrolling through my phone as Mary texted me.

Mary: I know you like him.

Me: Who?

Mary: Don't play stupid. I know you like Marcus.

Me: I don't know what you're talking about.

Mary: Watch out Zoey. He's mine.

I rolled my eyes, setting down my phone and watching Marcus play his game.

At around 10:30 I fell asleep again, I felt Marcus kiss my forehead and then turn off his lamp. I smiled. Maybe blushed. But it didn't mean anything. I didn't like Marcus like that. He was my best friend.