Chapter 21

The time of when Zoey tried ending her life

I was in my room, crying. I had just stopped being friends with Marcus. I missed him. I fucking hated that Mary did that.

Nobody was home. I really needed someone. I just wanted someone to talk to. I tried calling my dad, no answer.

"Please." I whispered, crying.

I was done. I was done with it all. I went down to the kitchen, taking some of mom's drugs out of the cabinet. I took a lot of them, to the point I fell to the floor.

Everything was black. I heard screaming.

"ZOEY!" Delaney yelled, coming to me.

I could barely hear, I could barely breathe, I could barely see.

Then I woke up. In a hospital. I was alive.

"Zoey, can you hear me?" The doctor asked.

"Yeah." I said.

"How are you doing?" She asked.

"My head kind of hurts." I said.

"That's okay. Do you remember anything that happened before you got here?" She asked.

"Um... no.." I said.

"You consumed over 20 Xanax pills. You almost overdosed but your sister caught you in time." She said.

"Oh." I said.

"Your mother requested you go to a mental hospital. You're going to be transferred there for 2 weeks." She said.

I just looked away. A mental hospital? I wasn't mental. Was I?

After being transported there, everyone looked at me.

"You're gonna be okay here. You're gonna get help." A doctor said.

"I'm fine though." I said.

She ignored me. I had fricking handcuffs on. What the hell was this? Prison?

I saw some crazy people, this was a mental hospital for sure.

They took me into a room, removing my handcuffs.

A few minutes later a lady came in.

"Hello darling, how are you feeling?" She asked.

"I wanna go home. I want my sister." I said.

"I know. You'll be okay. 2 weeks will go by fast. I'm Tasha by the way. I'm your sponsor. After this 2 weeks you will be given my number in case you get thoughts of drug abuse." She said.

"Okay." I said.

"So tell me, why did you feel the need to go and do so many drugs at a time?" She asked.

"I had no point in living. My best friend was gone, my sister wasn't home, my mom was out with her boyfriend... or just some hook up and I was alone when I really needed someone." I said.

"Okay. And that's when you started thinking suicidal?" She asked.

"Yeah." I said.

"Just know you have a purpose here. Your sister will be calling here in a few minutes. Do you mind walking with me?" She asked.

"I don't mind." I said.

Tasha walked with me to the telephones. They had telephones. The fuck?

The phone rang and Tasha answered.

"Delaney Rivera?" Tasha asked.

She smiled, handing me the phone.

"Laney?" I asked.

"Oh my God Zoey. Are you okay?" Delaney asked.

"I wanna go home." I said.

"I know. Mom hid my keys so I can't get you. Please baby just sit tight. You'll be out of there in no time." She said.

"Laney. I just wanna be home." I said.

"I know. You can do it okay? You're gonna get through it." She said.

"Okay." I said.

"I love you." She said.

"I love you. Please. Just please stay safe." I said.

"I will I promise." I said.

I started crying as I hung up.

"Here, let's get you back to your room." She said.

I nodded, going back to my room.

It was around 10 PM so I laid in my bed. I fell asleep for a few hours. Then it happened again. The nightmare. I woke up screaming.

"Zoey? Zoey? Are you okay?" A doctor asked coming in.

"I had a nightmare." I said.

"Okay. Do you need anything?" She asked.

"No. No I'm fine. It's fine." I said.

"Okay." She said.

I hadn't slept at night since then.

After those 2 weeks...

Today I was going home. Finally going home. I had been yelled at, I hadn't slept, and I hadn't ate. I lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks.

Delaney's car was in the parking lot. She came out and instantly came over to me, hugging me.

"Oh my God." She said, crying.

"I don't wanna go there again." I said.

"You won't. I'm gonna make sure of it." She said.

"Make sure you call me whenever you're having bad thoughts Zoey." Tasha said.

"Thank you." I said.

I got in the car.

"I need food." I said.

"Okay. When was the last time you slept?" She asked.

"Not since the first night. I had a nightmare and hadn't slept since." I said.

"Jesus I'm so sorry. Mom's not home so you'll be good." She said.

We got home and I ate something instantly.

I took a shower. I loved it. It made me feel clean. I brushed my teeth.

"You should sleep in my room with me." Delaney said.

"Okay." I said.

That night I had slept in Delaney's room with her. I missed my sister.