Chapter 23

~Delaney's POV~

"I don't know what's gonna happen the next time they show up." I said.

"She looks like she's on her last straw with them." Dylan said.

"Fuck, I don't know what to do." I said.

"I'm so sorry you guys are going through this." He said.

"I'm just upset. Like I've put what my dad to me in the past but that shit scared my best friend. Even though it didn't happen to her she was afraid." I said.

"You guys should probably get the locks changed here or something." He said.

"Yeah, I'll probably do that after I get this damn AC figured out. With how little my jobs paying I don't know if I can even get to that." I said.

"Is your mom still paying all the bills?" He asked.

"Yeah, she basically just doesn't stay here." I said.

"At least the bills are okay. You can try asking her about the AC and the locks." He said.

"Yeah, probably not about the locks. She'd be bitchy at me." I said.

"Damn man. She can't even be around her own parents without all the PTSD coming at her at once. That's the most worst shit to go through." He said.

"Yeah. She hasn't been herself since she was in the mental hospital. She said when she got there she didn't sleep or eat there. She just sat around in her room all day." I said.

"Why didn't you pick her up?" He asked.

"My mom took my keys to my car with her. I had finally got them back when she came back for a few minutes but that was the day Zoey got out." I said.

"How rough did she look?" He asked.

I remember taking a picture with her the day after because I took her out to eat.

"Here." I said, showing Dylan the picture.

"Holy shit. That poor girl looked so skinny." He said.

"I can't have her go through that again but I feel like I'm not preventing it from happening." I said.

"I know who is." He said.

"Yeah." I said.

Marcus.

"I can assure you when you're not here he will be. He's told me all the time when they stopped being friends. 'I want zoey' 'Why did I screw up with her'" He said.

"I've been trying to ask her if she wants therapy but she still talks to her sponsor, Tasha." I said.

"I heard sponsors are like really great with that sort of thing." He said.

"Yeah, I'm glad Tasha really got her out of her comfort zone to talk to her." I said.

"You and your sister have been through a lot, and hopefully soon it all stops." He said.

"She's too young Dylan." I said.

"She's turning 16 in like 3 days huh?" He asked.

"Yeah." I said.

"We should do something special for her. That way she doesn't feel so alone and that she feels like she can belong here." He said.

"Yeah. I just want her to make it past 20. She's too young to be going through this." I said.

"I know." He said.

Dylan and I were the same as Marcus and Zoey. We were best friends since Marcus and Zoey met because our parents were the closest. Their parents hate ours now because of what happened.

Lauren and Anthony were like parents to us, they hated what our parents did.

"She's gonna get better soon. We just need to keep her away from whats haunting her." Dylan said.

"It still haunts her even when they're gone. We've lived in this house since we were born. There's certain spots in the house that just completely takes over her mind." I said.

"I wish I knew what to do in this situation." He said.

"I think I have an idea." I said.

"What's up?" He asked.

"We need to fully re-do this house. Everything in it." I said.

"How are we gonna do that with her here?" He asked.

"Do you think she could stay with you guys for a little?" I asked.

"Yeah, yeah of course." He said.

"Okay. When's your family leaving?" I asked.

"Tomorrow." He said.

"Okay. Once they leave tomorrow we're gonna have her stay with you because we're gonna say we have a birthday surprise for her, which technically it is. And we're gonna re-do this whole house." I said.

"Alright. I'll have my parents pitch in to help with finance." He said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Of course babe. We got your back." He said, kissing me.

Thank goodness.

I was really excited for this. We definitely needed to do this. We couldn't move anywhere, we wouldn't have the money.

"We'll start tomorrow once we get Zoey out of the house. For her birthday we'll finish everything up and Marcus will keep her occupied." He said.

I nodded. I was excited. Really excited.