Chapter 10

It was finally lunch and I was so happy to see Marcus and Lynette again. I hadn't had my 4th or 5th hour with them.

I gave Lynette a hug, I loved her. She was always there for me when I needed it.

"How are you doing today?" Lynette asked.

"I'm okay, tired. Do you want to come over today?" I asked.

"Yeah of course. But I thought Marcus was coming over." She said.

"He can't. He has stuff to do with Dylan." I said.

"I see." She said.

"Hey guys." Marcus said, sitting across at the table from Lynette and I.

"Hi." I said.

"Hi Marcus. How's your day?" Lynette asked.

"Slow. Yours?" Marcus asked.

"Same here." She said.

Just then some girl came up to Marcus. Why?

"Hey, I think you're really cute. Could I get your number?" The girl asked.

Nu uh. No way. No. I wanted Marcus to say no.

"Sorry, I'm not really looking to date or talk to anyone right now." Marcus said.

"Understandable." The girl said.

She smiled at him and left. Thank God he said no. Why did I even care? Why did I want him to say no? He can go for anyone he wants. He's just my best friend.

"Earth to Zoey! Helloooo." Marcus said.

"What?" I asked.

"What's up with you? You completely left." He said.

"Oh, just thinking." I said.

"Mmhm. Yeah." He said, winking at me.

I hated when he would wink at me. It would give me butterflies and I hated it.

"So, Zoey. We've been here for a bit. Any guys catching your eyes?" Lynette asked.

"No. You?" I asked.

"A little. His name's Branden. I haven't talked to him but he's attractive." Lynette said.

"I know him. I can talk to him for you." Marcus said.

"That would be nice." She said.

Marcus nodded, finishing his lunch.

"We need to find you a girl Marcus, and Zoey you definitely need a dude." Lynette said.

I looked at Lynette. I didn't want anyone. And why would Marcus need someone new? He just broke up with Mary like a few days ago.

"Why are you looking at me like I'm crazy?" Lynette asked.

"Nothing. I'm not looking to date anyone right now." I said.

Marcus gave me a look. What for? Did he know what I was thinking?

After lunch was our last class of the day. I was super excited to go home.

The last hour was long and slow, but it finally reached the end of the day. Lynette got in the car with Delaney and I.

"How was your day Laney?" I asked.

"Good. Yours?" Delaney asked, turning on her car.

"Slow." I said.

We got home and Lynette and I went up to my room. I really needed to get this off my chest. I liked Marcus. Like, I LIKED him. I didn't know why. I didn't know how. I just did.

"Alright Zoey I know something's on your mind. You know you can tell me." Lynette said.

"Promise you won't tell anyone? Not even Marcus?" I asked.

"What? Do you like him?" She asked.

"Yeah. Don't tell him. Please. Or anyone. Not even Delaney." I said.

"I won't. Zoey I could see the jealousy on your face when that girl talked to Marcus. I'm sure even Marcus saw it too." She said.

"I don't know what to do. He's my best friend. I'm not supposed to like him." I said.

"It's fine Zoey. It happens. Just think it over." She said.

I nodded, kind of calming down.

After Lynette left I laid in bed. Did I like him? Did i want to like him? I didn't know. But I felt something I had never felt before for Marcus. I felt butterflies, I felt happy. Fuck. I liked him.

Then, he called me.