《Sadie》The Chronicles of Annora

Reviewer: Sadie twoshortnails
Book: The Chronicles of Annora
Author: Book_Fangirl_13
Chapters read: All

Cover:

First of all, I looked at all three covers in the part titled ‘Vote for my cover for this book here!’ All three have a fabulous choice of image, and as I understand, someone else designed the cover for you.

The design is made much better by the accurate images shown, displaying a strong female warrior/princess who probably somewhat fits your interpretation of Aletheia’s appearance. I like the way the images are simple and not too busy, focusing on the person more than the background. This creates clarity and makes sure that the reader isn’t distracted.

What I don’t particularly like is the font. For a fantasy book, I would be looking at fonts like ‘Old English’ or some cursive, which would really capture the theme and interest of a fantasy book. I lack that in the font the designer chose for your book. It’s a very standard serif font that doesn’t compliment the image at all. The white colour of the font, whilst clear and easily visible, stands out like a cloud in a clear sky.

I suggest changing the font to something more fantasy-themed, and if you want to keep the font simple, go for a ‘Times Roman’ font, or on Canva, there’s a font called ‘Cinzel’, which would go well with this sort of theme. Try using an off-white colour for the text, or using a gold colour and then using the neon effect on Canva. Personally, I like the first cover best, so take the image from that one. If you don’t want to change the font for your name and the little subtext, then it should be fine if you leave it as is. Bear in mind that if you change the colour of the title, you need to change the colour of everything else!

The text placement is fine, but make sure everything is centred! ‘Annora’ looks like it was placed too much to the right.

I did have a look at the designer’s shop and the other options that they made for you. In my opinion, all the images are quite good, but I still like the first one best. It captures Aletheia’s warrior descriptions the best, but the choice is up to you.

Overall, I love the images and I think the designer did a great job. I think it’s worth asking them to change the font to one of my suggested fonts, or find one yourself, though!

Title:

For a fantasy book, your title might not be the most original, but it definitely gives the reader a ‘professional’ sense and it looks good on the cover as well. When I say your title isn’t the most original, I mean that there are loads of other fantasy novels that have the title: ‘The Chronicles of ____’. e.g. ‘The Chronicles of Narnia’ or ‘The Chronicles of Riddick’. If this doesn’t bother you, then don’t worry about your title at all. Personally, I wouldn’t change it! Your title is fine.

Blurb/Description:

The first thing I notice about your blurb is the lack of paragraphs. Not having enough paragraphs is a recurring theme in your writing, and this is somewhat of a concern because paragraphs are extremely important to keep your reader interested, engaged, and paragraphs also make it easier for the reader to read, hence resulting in them enjoying your writing more!

Separate this massive paragraph into three chunks, and you can decide where to separate it. Remember, you are the author, and I’m only here to suggest things.

The content in your blurb is really great, and has everything that is necessary, but with some extra unnecessary add-ons. The reader doesn’t need to know that Aletheia Halcyon is intelligent and fearless, they just need to know that she’s a teenager. Try to remove unnecessary information that the reader doesn’t need to know, and let them find out for themselves.