42

The hospital was busy as always as the three friends entered. Martins directed his friends to the ward his wife was staying. As he reached he saw the doctor inside already.

"Doctor, doctor, I'm here," Martins said as soon as he entered the ward.

"Shhhh! She's asleep, come outside, let's talk." The doctor ordered and Martins obeyed following the doctor out of the ward.

"Doctor, you said my wife is out of coma already."

"Yes, that's what I said, but right now she's asleep. She asked of you when she woke up and also asked for... For your child, but then she remembered and started crying, before going back to sleep."

"Ooohhh! So she's asleep now."

"Yes, she is. She would have to stay in the hospital for one more week before we discharge her, she needs constant checkups."

"Oh, doctor, thank you very much."

"Don't thank me. Thank God, because it's a miracle that happened, I too can't believe she got out of the coma so fast. It was a miracle. Who are these people?" The doctor asked, motioning his direction to Charles and Rhema.

"These? They are my good friends."

"Hello, doctor!" Both Charles and Rhema greeted.

"Hello," he replied, he directed his gaze back to Martins, "well, I'll need to go check up on other patients, and as for your bill, go to the reception to settle that." With that, the doctor left.

"Right, the bill," Martins muttered, his heart already heavy. How could he pay bills? He was sure it was a whole lot of money.

"Let's go settle the bills," Charles stated.

"Ehn?" Martins asked, to be sure of what he heard Charles say.

"I said let's go settle the bill, the bill won't be paid by itself, right? C'mon, let's go."

"Okay... Okay." They moved in the direction of the reception.

"Hello, sirs. How can I help you?" The young receptionist asked.

"I'm Mr. Martins Nwanekezie. My wife is Mrs. Ruth Nwanekezie. I want to know my..."

"Oh, your bill? That's not a problem, you may have your seat." The receptionist typed some words into her computer, "here it is." She passed him his bill.

Martins saw the bill and his heart sank. One point three million naira? What the heck? How will he pay for these?

"What happen?" Charles asked him, he noticed how Martins' face became gloomy as soon as he saw the bill the receptionist gave him.

"Nothing, nothing," Martins replied.

"Are you sure it's nothing?" Rhema asked him.

"Let me see," Charles said and collected the bill from Martins. He stood up and faced the receptionist, "how can I pay?"

"You can pay by cash or through bank transfer."

"Alright, I'd prefer bank transfer."

"You don't need to worry," Martins said, feeling quite ashamed of himself.

"And why shouldn't I? A friend of mine is finding it difficult to pay his wife's bill and to me, the money is a small thing, so why shouldn't I worry?" He faced the receptionist, "please give me the bank details, or do you have Pos?"

"Yes sir. We do."

"Alright." He brought out his card and the transaction was made within a minute.

"Done. This is the receipt, sir." The receptionist passed the receipt to Martins who collected it.