Thirty three

"Abhi..I really donot understand Khushi's life anymore. It feels like she is drowning and is sinking. I donot know what to do anymore"said Payal to her lover over the phone.

Abhinav put the book down. He sighed..

"Look Payal. This is the last time I am telling you this. Let Khushi live her own life. It's her own choice. Neither it's my concern,nor I wish it to be your concern. In few days we would be moving into a new phase of our life. Such a beautiful phase. We will marry,live our dream life. You would be my wife. Away from everyone. Khushi,Buaji,Babuji,Maa,everyone would be left behind. You would be here,in my home,in my place. My Maa,Baba,family would welcome you here. You would wear red saree,a veil,anklet and vermillion, mangalsutra would adorn your neck. You would be my bride. Think about our family,our happiness"said Abhinav..

Payal was silent..She was listening to everything Abhinav was telling..

"Baby,do you remember how we met?"asked Abhinav to divert her mind. He knew he sounded a little harsh..

"Yes. That day,I ran after you,when you were walking away. I almost sprained my feet to run to you after I saw you there,in the front gate of my college"said Payal..

Yet there was a question,this time it popped up. Why did you watch me running so fast to you,while standing there? Why did you not come inside atleast? Why did you not take a step ahead? Why were you silently watching me run,me being criticised by everyone?

She never asked these questions. She never had these questions..
Infact she had heard some of his friends had told him to not get involved with her. He had told her that quite often.

Payal envisioned Abhinav's chest swelling in pride. Is it like a woman's breast now? She asked herself and laughed a little..

"Yes,baby..You ran so fast. And that day when you waited for me to take you with me,to cross that road,with umbrella? You had waited for almost an hour for me there,standing under the roof,while I was talking with my friend.."agai. Abhinav said..

Payal hmmed.

She recalled that day. She had finished her classes. It was raining really hard. She was standing under the shades. Watching rain fall. As water fell,drops caressed the leaves,leaves shaked in thrill,of new life. Earth sang along with rain. She was waiting for Abhinav? She didnot know. All she can remember was the rain,the peace she felt with rain. She was scolded badly that day for her poor result. She was sad,and it was raining,like she was crying yet her eyes were dry..

Abhinav was doing something with his friends. She had worn her favorite colour blue. He had borrowed umbrella from somewhere and helped her reach the place she had to go,the next class..

"And that day,when you had worn that large black bindi. Yet you had never worn it again once I told you,I donot like it"continued Abhinav..

Payal hmmed in agreement..

She had always liked the long bindis. Black. Finally she had gotten her hands on a leaflet. She had worn it. She didnot care whether it suited her or not. She just liked it. It was like she wanted to feel a little free. Yet she had never worn it again..

"We have so many plans dear..You know my uncle,aunty, cousins are so exited for my marriage. I want to show them,my beautiful bride..When we stand together,we would look so perfect togather. You in the wedding lehenga and me in sherwani. You know my sister in law was asking me,when will I get married again and again.."Abhinav continued..

Payal was feeling drained. It felt like her feet were not touching the ground. She had never noticed it. Yet Abhinav always avoided her parents. Yes,there were things she was not happy with,in her home. Yet her marriage was a very big thing. She wished to be happy. Did he ever cared for her happiness?

She knew it would be hard,very hard. But damn. This man had no willingness to even approach,to even try . He had already decided everything on his own.. And he actually made himself the centre of Payal's small world and Payal let him do so..