thirty

Beatriz knew Han hated the car he built. He wanted it to go in a completely different direction, but it turned into "The Mona Lisa" as Twinkie liked to call it. It wasn't something Han wanted. The car that Han preferred to drive while in Japan was his Mazda RX-7. "The Mona Lisa" was just a car Han liked the body of, but the project took too long and in the end, he hated the car. Bea knew all this, and she knew that Han wasn't attached to the car as everyone else was.

"You sure about this?" Beatriz asked, making sure Han was really thinking this through. He was impulsive at times, which was one of the things Bea loved about Han, but at the moment, he was risking destroying the car in the hands of some new kid.

Han nodded once.

"I know you don't care about the car," Han pulled Beatriz in-between his legs as he leaned against one of the cars by the starting lining. Bea draped her arms on his shoulders as Han's fingers played with the hem of her shirt. "You don't even know if the kid can drift."

"No, but he's interesting."

"You just like he isn't scared of DK."

"You're the same." Han pointed out as Bea took the snack bag from his hand. "Hey!"

Bea reached into the bag, pulling a couple out for herself. "I know you have another snack in your pocket." Beatriz said with a smile. "But seriously, what interests you in this kid?" Beatriz asked as she popped the snack into her mouth.

Han shrugged. "Don't know. He just does."

Min Woo aimlessly played with the zipper of his hoodie. The elevator ride down to the cars was taking a lot longer than usual. It was almost torture for him. Sean and Twinkie were silent during the ride as well. Well, until Sean literally asked if DK could drive.

Twinkie scoffed. "Can he drive?" He repeated, looking at Sean. "You know what DK stands for?" Twinkie asked.

Sean shook his head. "Donkey Kong?" He guessed.

"Drift King." Twinkie and Min Woo said.

"Drift?" Sean questioned. Twinkie nodded. "What do you mean, drift?" Sean asked.

Min Woo looked at Sean. "You know how to drift, right?" Sean shrugged his shoulders. "Oh no." Min Woo sighed, resting his head against the back of the elevator. He looked forward when the doors opened, the three guys could hear the cheering from the people watching the first race between two different drifters. Min Woo climbed off the elevator, watching the cars drift by.

"Still need a dictionary?" Twinkie asked.

Twinkie and Min Woo walked Sean over to Han's car. Earl was finishing up looking over the engine, while Twinkie explained to Sean all about the car. Min Woo walked away from Sean and Twinkie, walking after Earl. "Still is gonna be interesting," Min Woo looked back at Sean. "He's got no idea what drifting is."

"Are you kidding?" Earl's head whirled to Min Woo. He shook his head. "Shit."

Bea sat on Han's lap as Twinkie walked by. He was shaking his head at Han. Bea watched him head over to where Earl, Reiko, and Min Woo were standing. Han was definitely more interested in Sean's driving skills than he was his drifting ones. "Reminds me of old times." Bea commented.

"Same." Han nodded. "Just more fun."

"Oh, I don't know, Puerto Rico's crowd was a lot louder than these guys." Bea said. "And the ones back in California were a mixed bag. The ones I remember from my teens were a lot of fun though." Bea said.

Han smiled at the memories from his teenage racing days.

Bea and Han looked towards the racers, ready to watch what happened. Beatriz could see from the second Sean started driving that he was good. It only took one look from street racer to street racer to know whether or not somebody was good or just being cocky.