just another admirer【one】| lucy gray baird

summary: when you accidentally catch Lucy Gray upset, learning that her boyfriend has cheated on her, you're left to make sure she's okay, and thus a proper friendship forms. 

warning/s: mentions of cheating.

author's note: here's the first part of three for a lucy gray imagine i wrote, as i watched the new hunger games last week and now im suddenly 14 again lol. Also working on a katniss one bc why not, so yeah, hope someone likes it 😂

"You look very pretty, Y/N," my little sister, Y/S/N, said with a smile as I pulled my bag across my shoulders

I smiled down at her, heart warming at the way she looked up at me. She was only ten years old, but to be someone she looked up to was a responsibility I took seriously, so when she was the one to compliment me rather than the other way around, it was sweet.

"Thanks, Y/S/N," I said, squeezing her shoulder gently. "I appreciate that. You think the guests will like it?"

"They'd be silly not to," she told me with confidence, and it made me chuckle.

I worked as a waitress at the Hob in town, usually being able to wear whatever I wanted and opting for something practical over pretty, but today it had been reserved for the reception of some peacekeeper's wedding. Meaning, I had to be on my best behaviour and wear the nicest thing I owned – a sundress in the back of my closet that I rarely touched.

"Come here," I said to Y/S/N, opening my arms, to which she hugged my waist and I squeezed her tight. "I've gotta go now, but I'll be back by dinner. Let mum and dad know, yeah?"

She nodded and I kissed the top of her head before heading out and walking through town to get to the Hob. It was the middle of summer, so I was already building a sweat by the time I arrived, but thankfully my favourite colleague and bartender, Miles, offered me some iced water when he saw me. The only reason we had ice was because it was a peacekeeper's wedding and they wanted the best for their guests, otherwise it would have been lukewarm as usual.

The reception was yet to start, so I spent the next hour and a half cleaning up the place as Miles got the food and drinks ready. Once all the tables were cleaned and set up, guests began to make their way in, and the act of the day, the Covey, soon arrived and made their way onstage to prepare.

The Covey were the only musical geniuses in the district, the best source of entertainment for those who wanted a party to remember. All six of them were extremely talented musicians, each with their own charm. And when they weren't working at the Hob, performing, they were hired to work birthday parties or weddings, such as today.

As I was with Miles, we were essentially colleagues and it was easy to chat to the joyous bunch of them, especially when we shared a dinner break together briefly between their performances whenever I was on shift. Though, admittedly, I'd harboured a small crush on their lead singer, Lucy Gray Baird, for a while now. It wasn't anything major, but it was there.