CHAPTER SEVENTY-TWO (THE WAY)

KENTRELL...

"What is you doin' here?." Kentrell hide his smile with a worried mug.

"I came ta see yo weddin', am I early?." His pops sat down on a metal stool at the island.

"No, you're late, da party is already ovea." Kentrell said. "We already gotten married."

"Aww, I tried ta get gifts on da way, but I ain't know what ta get y'all and ma uber was late, I'm sorry man."

"It's okay---how'd you know I was gettin' married? I ain't text you nothin'."

"Ya husband did." His pops points at Durk.
Kentrell turned around and frowned as Durk looked away and glared at everywhere else but Kentrell. Mable shook her head in disapproval.

"He asked if I could stop by because ya wanted ta talk and hang out."

"Hang out? We hadn't hung out since I was eight, why ya wanna hang out nie? What happened ta ya real family?."

His pops dropped his head. He was disappointed in himself for telling a eight old year Kentrell that. He didn't think he would remember it. "Son I didn't mean dat, I was just tryna get back at ya mama."

"How come I couldn't come withcha? Why did ya leave meh wit ha'?." The pain in Kentrell's voice was something Durk nor his father wanted to hear.

Durk stood up with the help of Mable and independently walked over to Kentrell. He grabbed and squeezed Kentrell's hand for comfort.

"I would've taken you wit meh, and I should've taken ya wit meh, it was just so much goin' on and I just needed ta leave as soon as possible."

Kentrell sucked his bottom lip in and bite down. "Mama was ha'."

"Yeah, I saw ha', she ain't look happy."

"Good, fuck ha'." Durk mugged.

"Durk." Mable frowned.

Durk pinched his lips together, forgetting his mother was still there.

"Son--I can't change ma past, and I can't change da actions dat I've done, but what I can do, is improve and work hard ta rebuild our relationship, dats if you want ta."

Durk softly nudged Kentrell and smiled.
"Please? It'll make meh feel bettea."

"I told ya ta leave ma family alone bahbeh, you always on sum slick shit." Kentrell mugged.

"I know, but, he sounded sa nice on da phone, way mo coola dan ya mama."

Kentrell turned back to his father. "When will you be leavin'?."

"Sunday."

"Ight, I'll see ya tomorrow." Kentrell said.

His father smiled. He hopped down the metal stool, walked around the table, and reached out to shake Durk's hand.

"Congratulations on da weddin', wish da both of y'all nothin' but da best."

"Thank you." Durk smiled.

His pops bowed his head and walked towards the door. He waved goodbye, opened the front door and walked out.
When the door closed shut, Mable walked toward the door and locked it.

Kentrell pulled away from Durk. "I don't get you."

Durk furrowed his brows as Kentrell walked toward the stairs.
When Kentrell was no longer in the front area Durk leaned against the counter. "I thought it was uh good idea." He shrugged.
"I wanted dem ta have uh relationship so dat when we had our child---." He sighed and stopped talking.