50. The fight

Yeon Yi-joo

Stay back”, Hyunyul pushed me behind him as he glared at those guys. 

Who are those people?

They did look like gangsters, but they knew Hyunyul which confused me. Out of nowhere, someone peaked behind Hyunyul, making an eye contact with me.

“You look fine for someone who fainted”, he scoffed, gazing at me.

“That fuc—”, I couldn't complete my words as Hyunyul held my hand.

“I couldn't wait for you to arrive, so I'm personally visiting you after hearing that you found out that I was behind that accident”

“What? It was you—”

“Yijoo-ya, go to the stage”, Hyunyul cuts off my words once again.

But I listen to him this time and walk back to the stage where the others were present. I had no idea what was all of this about. But one thing was for sure, he was in danger.

“Who are those people?” Sujin questioned as I reach near them.

“I don't—”

I lost my balance and almost fell on the ground as a sharp pain flashed inside my head. Yi-chan and Majoo held me before I reached the ground. A scene played inside my mind.

“He's coming after you?”

“Most probably”

“Then go and tell him that you didn't call the police that day”

“He knows, but he needs someone to vent his anger out”

“Eonni! Are you alright?” Sujin looked at me with concern.

I gazed at everyone as I stood up, “Jindo Dogs, it's them”

I didn't know where that piece of memory came from. It seemed like I and Hyunyul were talking at Yi-chan's guesthouse.

Without giving a single thought, I ran towards Hyunyul as the others also followed me, totally ignoring the headache which was killing me.

“I asked you to stay behind”, Hyunyul whimpered as he saw us.

But then my eyes fell on a person wearing, Baekwang school's uniform lying on the ground with bruises all over his face. But how did I even know that it's the uniform of Beakwang High?

How do you feel to be stabbed in the back?” The leader glared at Hyunyul.

I didn't know what took over me as I got between the two of them. Glaring straight back at that leader, I questioned, “Don't you already know he didn't do that?”

“You—”

“Get a life, you jerk”, I cut off his words before he could say anything stupid.

Was I being reckless? Hell yes.

But did I care? Nope.

But why?

Something in my head triggered when the anxious face of Hyunyul flashed inside my mind from that day. And I would rather not stay back and do nothing, even though I was not sure if this was a good idea. I was just provoking that leader more.

The leader let off a scoff and started to sing that squid game song as he looked at his people behind, “The hibiscus flower had bloomed”, and then he turned back and glanced at Hyunyul and then at me and continued, “It's looking glamorous in full bloom", again he turned his gaze towards hyunyul, "I want to trample on the soil and nothing else, but these petals keep fluttering down. What can I do? So I trample on them all, you know?” He completed.