𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐢𝐬

_________________

There's a hard thing to swallow, the feeling of loneliness even when you're constantly surrounded by people. It was a feeling not many understood. But Nari did, a bit too well. She felt it every time she entered her house. She refused to call the dingy two-bedroom apartment her home. Wasn't a home somewhere you felt safe in, somewhere you yearned to return to, felt relief upon entry. Somewhere filled with memories, laughter and love. 

Home was where her mother was. 

This apartment, however, was anything but. Within the walls, there was nothing but an empty, unloved apartment, even if three people resided within. Three people who seldom ever interacted all together. Who most times rather filled the void with more loneliness.

To Nari, it pained her to see how far they'd come and how strenuous their once dearly loved family had fallen. To realise that you could be so close to someone yet feel infinite worlds apart. She saw it between herself and her father. How it had ripped the two apart. It is why she couldn't help but feel a twinge of envy when she saw Geon-woo and his mother. How the two of them built each other up, became pillars of strength for the other. How much they flourished with their love. She knew she had no right, none, to look at their bond and feel the bitter envy of their relationship. How much, despite what they lost, their house was a home. It was lived in, loved in. It was everything she had wished for her family. But they were not her family.
This was her family.

"Father"

Nari's knuckles rapped the door. Old wooden boards that began splintering at the seams, rattled and withered with each knock she took. It was quiet, the house. One would even consider it dead.

"Father, you need to eat" she said once more. She was sick of the routine. Trying to coax him out and about, to leave the walls of their house, to step outside, breathe fresh air. It was a fruitless effort. Nari hated it. but he was, despite everything, still her father.