Shaving Slips

The bathroom is filled with steam, the shower is the perfect temperature with the stream of water raining down on me. It's been a long morning of chores and stress, so I'm glad I've got the rest of the afternoon to unwind and finally destress from the hectic week. I prop one leg on the edge of the bathtub as I run the razor over my skin, shaving away the hairs that always annoy me. All is peacefully quiet as I twist to shave the back of my leg, the watermelon scented body wash helps the razor glide smoothly, but just as I go to stand straight my foot slips on some soap, and just like that the peace is once again disturbed. I fall into the tub, the shower still running as I get a face full of water. I cough and splutter, turning away whilst one leg dangles out of the tub. 

At least I got both armpits and legs shaved and done, but that doesn't help the fact I might be stuck. I lift myself away from the shower spray, yet when I try to bring my leg back in the shower a throbbing pain like no other makes itself known, my ankle kills me as I try once more, but it's no use. Like I'd predicted, Leon knocks at the door, probably worried about the thud that was me. "Honey, everything okay in there?" I've never been so glad that he came home early since there's a stomach bug going around in the office. 

I try for a third time, but when I whimper from the sharp sting I know I need help. "Uh, no." I call out, trying my hardest not to cry from the ache. "Leon, I need your help!" My voice trembles as I begin to shiver from the lack of boiling water spraying on me. Within seconds the bathroom door opens, and Leon comes in, standing there still dressed in his work clothes, though his suit is rumpled and his suit jacket seems to be missing. Upon seeing me, his hand raises to shield his eyes.

"What's wrong? I think I heard you slip." He asks, voice filled with worry. I stare as he turns his head away, his hand comes away from his eyes to instead begin rolling up his shirtsleeves, displaying those strong forearms of his. My breath catches but not from the sight of him, my ankle seems to be throbbing no matter what now. Even though I'm in pain and now isn't the time to just sit around, I can't hold back the small laugh that escapes me. 

"Leon, we've been together for years, you don't have to cover your eyes or look away." I softly say. Leon nods, finally meeting my eyes as a sheepish smile tugs his lips upwards, but it fades when he sees the pain written all over my face. "Where are you hurt honey?" 

"My ankle," I reply, my foot twitches as it begins to tingle from the awkward position of it hanging out of the tub, "I think it's just sprained. I was only shaving my legs and, well..." I gesture to myself, earning a soft chuckle from Leon. He comes over, kneeling down and carefully examines my injured ankle since he knows what he's doing, his touch is gentle, fingers swiping over the bone as he checks me over. Once done he nods, humming in agreement at himself. 

"You're right, it's just a sprain, but I can take you to the hospital just in case?" 

I shake my head, trusting Leon's knowledge on first aid and things. "No, I don't want to go there. Would you just help me out please, I'll figure everything else out after." Leon nods, turning the shower off first before scooping me up, his muscles tense up when I yelp as my ankle moves even though it can't be helped. Straight away his white, expensive shirt gets soaked, but he doesn't bat an eyelash at it. He snatches a towel up and wraps it around me before carrying me to the bedroom, where he sets me on the edge of the bed. Wordlessly, like a man on a mission, he disappears for a moment only to return with a bag of frozen peas and some bandages, he kneels down, lifting my ankle until it rests on his knee then he wraps it up before setting the peas over the pain. I sniffle as the pain only intensifies. 

"I'm so sorry sweetheart, I know it hurts, but this'll help in the long run." He murmurs, standing up to grab the towel and finish drying me off with a gentleness. I let him take care of me, and when I shiver Leon's quick to dress me- though it's a bit of an effort when I have to stand and put some underwear on. After he dries my hair and brushes through it whilst sitting beside me on the bed. "You're going to be alright, we'll take it easy and I'll look after you." Leon says, wiping my tears with his thumb. I nod, leaning into his touch. 

"I'm so clumsy sometimes." I sniffle, chuckling through the pain as Leon grabs me a glass of water and some painkillers. 

"Yeah," He smiles, "I just want to cover you up in some bubble wrap sometimes." He chuckles, kissing the side of my head as I laugh. When I sit up against the headboard Leon grabs a pillow and sets it under my ankle, elevating it before he rolls his shoulders. "You can stay here for a while, you deserve a break anyway. I'll handle dinner and everything else, don't worry. I've got a little bit more work to finish, will you be okay on your own for a while?" 

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Thank you for helping me." I say. Leon nods, pecking my lips as he passes me the TV controller and makes sure I've got everything I need before heading back to the home office. I watch some TV for a while, until my eyes begin to feel heavy. Before I know it I'm fast asleep, the pain subsiding as I sleep it off. I briefly hear Leon check on me a few times but I don't wake, though I do hear him chuckle and murmur something about me being "perfect". 

When I do wake up, it's to the aroma of something delicious. "Leon?" I call out, mouth watering as I check the time on my phone. It's past dinner time, which means I've been asleep for a while. Leon pokes his head around the corner, smiling and now changed into something more casual. 

"Hey sleepyhead, how's the ankle?" He asks, coming in and perching on the edge of the bed. My ankle still hurts, but I tell a small white lie anyway. 

"Better. What's that smell?" 

"Stew, I figured you could use something comforting after your battle with the bathtub." He jokes, grinning at his own wordplay. I roll my eyes, snorting as I nod and try to move off of the bed. I do find that I can wobble, but when I go to stand Leon shakes his head. "I'll help, since you need to keep off of that ankle." He slips an arm around my shoulders until I'm hopping my way to the kitchen, where a pot of delicious stew awaits us. Leon helps me sit then dishes up two bowls for us as well as some dumplings he made. 

"You're the best." I praise, mouth watering as he sets the bowls and cutlery down. 

"Only for you, honey badger" He winks, using an old nickname he used to call me all the time. My heart warms as we dig into the food, the steaming vegetables and chunks of beef and potatoes taste amazing, I've always said if Leon wanted to be a chef he'd have no trouble getting a job. Afterwards Leon dishes up some cheesecake he made, then finally opens up. "You scared me, you know?" 

"I know, I'm sorry. Thank you for taking care of me, I promise I'll make it up to you." I vow with a smile, Leon reaches out and links our hands together as he shakes his head. 

"Just focus on healing up, that's all I want. Then maybe I'll consider taking you on vacation somewhere nice to make it up to me." 

"How does you taking us on vacation make it up to yourself?" I laugh. 

He shrugs. "You'll be with me, that's enough."