Off To College

AN: I know it's that time of year again when a lot of people go back to school/ work/ university/ college, so I wanted to write something sweet and comforting. In this one, Y/N's off to college and doesn't want to leave Leon, but he assures her they'll be fine, and when she's feeling lonely one night, he turns up and surprises her!♡
---------------------------------------------------------

Leon and I have always been at each other's side. Even from the beginning of our relationship two years ago we've always stayed close together, making time for each other at least once or twice a week during our busy lives. We live fairly close together too, so we've never really had many long distance hurdles to struggle through.

But I'm moving to college now, in a whole different city. And Leon's staying in Raccoon for his job at the RPD.

Packing up my things with Leon's help and loading each box and bag into the back of his Jeep felt like we were ending. It felt like the type of thing that would happen during a breakup, yet alone this whole new chapter of my life. For months now Leon's reassured me that he'll be fine, and that he'll always be here waiting for me to come back with my degree- or without it, if I choose to drop out early. He's proud of me, I know it, and if his overwhelmingly positive reaction when we both read my acceptance letter wasn't enough, it's how he's literally took a day off from work to drive to my college and help me unpack.

The car ride is quieter than usual, we chat and he asks about my classes and tries to hype me up for college life, but my anxieties get the better of me. I nod noncomittedly and chew on my nail, until Leon tugs my hand away and links our fingers together. His smile is warm as we approach the campus, where other first year students are unpacking and making friends. I'll do that later, but right now I just want to savour the last hour I have with my boyfriend. It's not the end of the world, I know we'll text and video call, and we'll meet up whenever we can, but not having his warm embrace to look forward to after a shitty day...it's gonna be tough.

"Hey," Leon softy says, turning the car off before lifting my chin in his direction, "this place looks amazing. Don't let your mind ruin this for you." I take a deep breath, nodding as I lean over and press a lingering kiss to his lips before we both get out and start grabbing my stuff. Leon shows off his strength as he handles boxes stacked upon each other, only half of his face is visible as he holds the door to my building open for me and tilts his head for me to go first. I huff a laugh, leading the way.

Together we observe my new room, Leon whistles lowly and fakes excitement at the cramped space and blocked view of half the campus. It's by far not the best room, but it's mine, and it's home for now. He makes me laugh as we unpack, with Leon occasionally kissing my cheek as he passes to go grab another box from the car, his hands squeeze my waist as he lingers behind me, silently giving me reassurance and comfort. I know he's secretly struggling too, but unlike me he's hiding it well. When the last box is empty and the sun begins to dip behind the buildings, we both know that our time is up.

I swallow back salty tears as Leon's expression softens, immediately he pulls me to his chest, arms wrapping around me as I cling to him as if I'm trying to keep him here forever. I sniffle into his chest, inhaling his musky cheap cologne and the fabric softener he uses on his shirts. "Shh," he whispers, rubbing my back as his lips meet the top of my head, "you'll be okay, I know you're going to have a great time here. You're gonna make so many friends you'll probably forget all about me, and I know your smart little brain will ace the classes." Leon pulls away, hand cupping my cheek as I suck in a breath.

"I'll never forget you, don't be stupid," I huff a laugh, knowing he's only teasing me, "I'm going to miss you so much." A brief look of sadness crosses his features as he leans down and touches his forehead to mine.