You'll Make Things Different

AN: I'm thinking of soft Leon, pre-RE4R when he's still doing the harsh military training, he hasn't developed the exterior around his heart yet, and some of the other recruits seem to mock him for it...luckily he's got a guard dog in the form of a woman who'll protect him from the hurt that comes with bullies. 

---------------------------------------------------------

Y/N'S POV:

The dim light of the cafeteria fades into the background as my fist connects with Jacob's jaw, it sends him stumbling backwards into the crowd of the other recruits. I scan the faces, searching for the one who's unintentionally caused me all of this trouble. For weeks- maybe even months- now, every single person here has bullied and probed at Leon S. Kennedy, the newbie in our camp who appeared out of thin air one day. He's not like us, he's soft and naïve, his mind works differently as he tries to problem solve with his heart rather than his head. Everyone thinks he's weak, but I think he's incredible. Leon and I rapidly became good friends since I was the only one who understood the harsh reality of being forced into a life you didn't plan for. I shrug off my own thoughts as Jacob swiftly recovers from my punch, after one extra snide comment after dinner earlier my patience had reached its end, and this is the result. 

Cheers and jeers erupt as Jacob squares up, ready to retaliate. "You're going to regret warming up to the rookie." He snarls, acting like a bully on the playground rather than a twenty-something year old man. I huff, opening my mouth to throw back an equally childish retort, but he catches me off guard. He lunges forwards, slamming me into the unyielding, cool metal of the cafeteria table. I gasp, pain explodes in my side as I raise my chin and try to cover up for my moment of weakness, Jacob just scoffs though, shaking his head before raising his fist and delivering a series of brutal jabs that rock me to my core. The metallic taste of blood fills my mouth as he finally pulls back and raises his brows in question, taunting me as he awaits a response. He's expecting me to bow down and give in. Tough luck, buddy. 

I gather the blood in my mouth and spit it out, aiming for his face as he lets out a masculine yelp and backs away. It's enough for me to deliver a swift quick to his groin, I grin as he doubles over in agony, the crowd boos as I stand straighter and look at everyone without lowering my gaze. I dare anyone else to step forward or say something else that's offensive to my rookie. I won't stand for bullying, nor will I let everyone trample on his feelings any more than they already have. He's a shattered man, and I'm doing all I can to hold the pieces together for him. Jacob growls, getting up once more as we resume our dance around each other. Sweat and adrenaline fill the air as we circle each other, our training from Major Krauser coming in handy as we observe and attack. 

"You think you can protect him? You're both weak." Jacob spits out, voice vicious as he nods his head to the side and two more of his squad step forwards. Nobody comes to my side as I adjust my stance and prepare for more hurt. 

"Get fucked." I whisper, vision sharpening as his two friends step closer to me. 

Leon's POV: 

I lie on my back, the bunk feels too small and suffocating, it's nothing like the bed I used to sleep on back at home. Or the one I'd planned to buy for my new apartment in Raccoon. It feels so long ago, but it's only been months since that day. I wish I could forget about it, but every day I'm reminded of the guilt and weakness within me, the other guys here...they're not like me. Or I'm not like them. They've had years to train and grow stronger, I'm working triple time to catch up, and it's fucking exhausting. I've tried to shake off the threats and awful comments, but realistically I can't. Nobody here understands, at least none but Y/N. The thought of her is the only thing that brings me some ounce of comfort these days, as well as the hopes that little Sherry Birkin is doing okay. Y/N is the only one who seems to genuinely care, she's kind but tough, she reminds me of a woman I met in Raccoon...