confession//parallel

"What?" Scott asks, breathless.

Mark shrugs, an intense blush coating his cheeks.

"What did you say?" Scott asks.

Mark feels the butterflies all through his stomach again. "I love you," he says, for the second time.

Scott grins from ear to ear. "Say it again?" He asks sweetly.

Mark smiles, now—understanding what Scott wants.

He wants to hear it again.

"I love you," Mark says.

"Again?" Scott giggles, almost tackling Mark on the kitchen floor—where they'd been laying. He buries his face in Mark's neck.

Mark is laughing. "I love you, I love you, I love you," he gets out between laughs. "I love you, Scott."

Scott pulls his face away from Mark's neck, to lean in and give him a kiss. "Mark Manio, I love you," he smiles big.

Mark's giggles continue. "I'm so glad, baby."

"I love you so much," Scott says. "I'd rather be here, lying on my kitchen floor with you than at some stupid party, Marky."

"I'm so honored," Mark giggles, and Scott kisses his forehead.

"Do you wanna go lay in bed, instead of on the floor, perhaps?" Scott asks, some giggles of his own escaping.

"In a minute," Mark says. "I wanna take in the moment," he says.

"Huh?" Scott asks.

"I don't wanna forget this moment," Mark says. He leans in to kiss Scott again. He smiles.

"You're so cute," Scott says. He places his hand on Mark's cheek, and Mark blushes.

Mark sighs. "Okay, moment taken. Let's go to bed, angel."

Scott and Mark stand up, and head to bed.

When they're both laying down, Scott places kisses all over Mark's face, wherever he can reach.

"Baby!" Mark giggles.

"I couldn't help myself," Scott says. "I'm so happy."

"My love," Mark says—and that's all he has to say.

"C'mere," Scott says, and Mark lays a bit closer to Scott; while Scott wraps his arms around him. "There. Finally close enough."

Mark giggles, placing a kiss to the underside of Scott's jaw.

2 years later

"Hey, angel?" Mark asks, wrapping his arms around Scott from behind. "You almost done with your song?"

Scott looks up at Mark. "Hey, sweetheart." He smiles when Mark leans down for a kiss. "I think so," he says. "I'm still working on the verses, but the chorus is done."

"Can I hear it?" Mark asks.

Scott lets out a big breath. "Okay," he says.

"Okay?" Mark asks. "You're normally a bit more excited to show me your music." He sits next to Scott on the piano bench. "Show me?" He asks sweetly.

"This one's...different."

"What do you mean?" Mark asks.

Scott sighs. "Here we go."

Lay on the floor beside me
Let's lock the door remind me
Why I would ever be anywhere else
Without you I'm half of myself
Side by side, parallel

Outside the sky is falling
Look in my eyes and tell me
Why I would ever be anywhere else
Like something that I've never felt
You and I, parallel

Scott plays a final chord, and looks at Mark.

"Scotty," Mark says, "This is the best song you've ever written," He says, his voice breaking.

"Oh, baby," Scott hugs Mark. "Don't cry!"

"Is it about the night we skipped the party?" Mark asks. "The night...the night we fell in love?"

The hug ends, and Mark looks at Scott.

"Yeah," Scott says softly. "I didn't know if you'd remember...although for the record: I was very, very in love with you before that night." He says. "And nothing's changed."

Mark leans in to kiss Scott. "Good," he says. "Because I love you, more than I've ever loved anyone. More than I loved you that night." Another kiss.

When they pull apart, Mark sheds a few more tears. "Baby, the song is beautiful," he says.

"Don't cry, don't cry!" Scott says, swiping his thumbs under Mark's eyes. "No tears allowed. This is a gift, my love."

"Can you sing it again?" Mark asks, leaning his head on Scott's shoulder.

Scott kisses Mark's forehead. "Of course, honey."