before and after

Scott buries his face in his hands, and groans.

After about a full minute, he looks back at his computer. He sighs.

His hands reach toward the keys, and begin to type again.

After about 10 more minutes, he lays his head down on the desk again.

Does he normally have this many assignments on the second week of class? How exhausting. Is the whole semester going to be like this?

He decides he's taking a break. He closes his eyes.

2 hours later, he wakes up. He's missed the deadline.

-

Scott buries his face in his hands, and groans.

Barely a moment later, Mark is behind him, massaging his shoulders. "Hey, baby. How much do you have left?"

Scott pushes his laptop forward and rests his head on the table. Mark switches to gently rubbing his back. "Three more pages," Scott mumbles.

Mark sits next to Scott at the table. "Want me to make you some tea?" He asks.

Scott moves his head in some semblance of a nod. "Yes, please."

Mark leans down to kiss Scott's shoulder. "I'll be right back," he says, disappearing to make some tea.

Scott sighs, sitting back up. He pulls his computer closer, beginning to type again.

By the time Mark is back with his tea and a snack, Scott has just over a page left.

Scott smiles at Mark when he sees him. "Thank you, sweetheart." He says.

Mark sits next to Scott again, taking a cracker off the plate. "You're welcome, honey."

-

Scott turns over again, and takes his phone off of his nightstand.

4:23 am

He sighs. Sometimes he has these completely random nights where he doesn't get a wink of sleep, even though he's exhausted.

Only an hour and a half to go.

-

Scott turns over, and Mark stirs.

"Scotty?" Mark mumbles. "Are you still awake?"

"Yeah," Scott says. "I'm sorry, angel. I didn't mean to keep you up."

"C'mere," Mark opens up his arms, and Scott snuggles into Mark's embrace.

When Mark wraps his arms all the way around Scott, Scott relaxes.

Mark chuckles lightly. "Better?" He asks.

"Yeah, Marky. So much better."

Mark kisses the top of Scott's head. "Let's get to sleep now, my love."

Scott nods against Mark's chest, drifting off moments after.

-

Scott hangs his keys on the hook, then flops down on the couch.

Another day, done.

About 10 minutes later, he gets up, and heats his meal prep for the day.

He eats in silence, then gets ready for bed.

-

Scott opens the door, and smells dinner being cooked. He hangs his keys on the hook, and turns to see Mark in front of the stove.

"Hi, sweetheart," Mark smiles. "How was class?"

Scott smiles back. "It was good," he says, walking over to wrap his arms around Mark. "Missed you," he kisses Mark's shoulder.

Mark giggles. "I missed you too, handsome." He says. "I'm making stir fry," he says.

Scott sets his chin on Mark's shoulder. "It smells incredible, Marky. Thank you."

Mark smiles. "You're welcome," he says.

About 15 minutes later, they're sitting down to eat.

Scott takes a bite and moans. "This is so good, Marky," he says. "Thanks for cookin',"

"I'm glad you like it," Mark says, taking a bite. "Oooh. It is pretty good."

About 20 minutes later:

"Alexa, play dance music!"

Mark turns his head to look at Scott, who's dancing as he does the dishes.

Mark laughs. Of course he is.

"Life is more fun if you dance while you're living it, Marky," Scott giggles.

"Only you could find a way to make washing the dishes fun," Mark says.