Where Did We Go Wrong

Chapter 36
*Meredith POV*

Kids do stupid things, for stupid reasons. They play rough, they stare danger in the eye and laugh at it. As parents, we wish they wouldn't do these things. And when they do, it leaves us saying, "Where did we go wrong?"

It's a Saturday morning. Zola is watching cartoons in the living room, I think Bailey is with her. Derek and I came back to work a week ago, the day after Cristina left.

We don't have to be in to work till later and it's only 8 right now. Amelia walks through the kitchen grabbing something to eat on her way the door. Derek is in the shower and I go to check on Ellis, she's still sleeping so that's good.

Suddenly I hear a scream come from the backyard. It sounds like Zola. "Mommy! Daddy!" Follows the scream.

I run to the backyard and Zola is on the ground screaming. She's holding her head, she lifts her hand off of her hand, and there's blood. There's a rock by her head.

Bailey runs up to me crying. "I didn't mean to mommy!" He just got his cast off a few weeks ago so he walk normal now.

"Derek!" I scream.

He comes running out with only jeans on. "Oh my God." He says.

"Bailey, Bailey, calm down. Calm down. What were you and Zola doing?" Derek asks.

He's sobbing, "Playing...w-with rocks."

I look at Derek with a "Our children are idiots" face.

Zola is still crying. Derek picks her up and brings her into the house. I pick up Bailey.

He sits her on the kitchen table, she is still crying. "Calm down, Zo-Zo, calm down." I tell her.

"Mer, call Owen. We need to bring Zola in to the hospital, I think she needs stitches and a CT."

I call Owen because he lives literally right down the road. I can hear Amelia in the background.

I tell him we need him to take Bailey and Ellis into daycare for us. He shows up about 5 minutes later with Amelia.

"What happened?" Owen asks.

"Well, our children thought it was safe to throw rocks in the backyard, while Derek was in the shower and I was with Ellis." I explain.

Amelia goes into the nursery and picks up Ellis.

Derek puts a cloth over Zola's cut and an ice pack. We put Zola in the backseat and drive to the hospital.

She stopped crying, "Zola, wanna explain why you and your brother were throwing rocks at each other."

She begins to laugh a little, "I saw a bunny beside the deck. So I wanted to go outside and look at it. Bailey came with me. The bunny ran away. So we stared exploring and we found the wittle rocks on the side and the rule of our game was whoever can throw the rock across the deck wins."

"Mine landed on the deck but Bailey's went in the air and I was running to his side to go look at my rock. Then his rock hit me." She finishes the story.