We Can Do This

Chapter 44
*Meredith POV*

To be a surgeon, you need a lot of things. Most of all, you need confidence even when all the odds are against you. Surgery is known as one of the hardest jobs in the world. But by far, the hardest is being a parent.

It's been almost a year since Derek's accident. I'm not a very religious person, definitely not like April. But I thank God everyday since his accident that he's still here. I don't know what I would've done had he died. I probably would've fled Seattle. I couldn't sleep. I kept having dreams about the time the cops came to my door.

Last week, Maggie and I walked in on Wilson and Edwards with positive pregnancy tests. Alex hasn't told me that she's pregnant yet but he'll tell me when he's ready. I told Derek about it and he thinks it's great.

I'm waiting for our alarm to go off or the baby monitor. I hear the monitor go off so I go see Ellis. I hold her in my arms and soothe her. I bring her into mine and Derek's room to sit down.

"Morning," he says. He sits next to me and we play with Ellis. Watching her laugh is the cutest thing in the whole world.

*April POV*

It's 4 AM. I'm awake. Jackson is awake. But we both act like we're sleeping. I break the silence, "What names do you have in mind?" I ask.

"Babe you're only 22 weeks. We don't have to think about names." He says.

"Doesn't mean I can't. Just give me ideas." I say. "I like James for our son." I say.

"James Avery? I like it. What about middle name?" He asks.

"Well, I was thinking about his name being James Harper Avery. After your grandfather." I say.

"James Harper Avery? It's perfect." Jackson tells me.

"For our daughter, I was thinking Allison. Allison Avery." I tell him.

"Perfect. How about her middle name?" He asks me.

"Nicole. How does Allison Nicole Avery and James Harper Avery sound?" I ask him.

"I love." He says. He puts his face near my abdomen. "Hi there, Allison and James. This is your dad, I can't wait to meet you two."

"We can do this. Right? We can survive with twins?" Jackson asks.

I smile, "We can do this."

*Meredith POV*

I get the kids into daycare and I'm suddenly paged to the Pitt. There was a huge MVC accident. A family with 3 kids ages 15, 9, and 6 we're told are coming in.

Callie, Arizona, Alex, Derek, Amelia, Maggie, April, Owen, and the residents are all down here.

Owen, Alex, Jo, and I have a 9 year old girl. She's in bad shape. Her whole right arm is shattered. Torres is going to fix it when we're done.

We use an ultrasound to see the blood in abdomen. The CT is showing her organs...they're pulverized. We can do this. I tell myself. We can save this little girl. We can do this.