Ghost

Chapter 68
*Jo POV*

Seeing a person that you used to know, will always take your breath away. Seeing the face of a person you never thought you'd see again? It will stop you in your tracks, it will hit you out of no where, and take the breath right from your lungs. And in that breathless moment you either start running for the hug you never thought you'd have. Or, you run in the opposite direction. Far. Far. Away.

Alex and I are about to go into the hospital for a baby check up. Pretty soon I'm going to be allowed back to work and so will Alex but we still are being forced to take time off. Thankfully Alex's hand/arm is healing well.

I'm brushing my teeth as Alex walks into the bathroom and he wraps his arms around me and I feel Ashton kick. He kisses me on the cheek, "Meet me in the car" he tells me.

When he leaves I almost giggle like a little girl around her crush. This is the dream I thought I could never obtain. A loving husband, a job that makes me happy to wake up and to, and pretty soon a little girl who is the center of my world.

Alex is waiting by the car and opens the door for me. I hope one day our daughter finds a man like her father.

We are a little late for the appointment but we finally get in and the tech starts the ultrasound, we get to hear her heartbeat that strong little thud...thud...thud...thud electrifies me, my heart beats faster, it makes me smile so much my cheek muscles hurt, and Alex is the exact same way. He kisses me softly and quickly.

"Everything is checking out good, the baby is right on track! Your next appointment is 3 weeks from today. And you're both doctors, so I know you probably know already after week 37 the baby is considered full term and could come at any moment."

"Thank you" Alex says as we leave.

*Meredith POV*

Alex and Jo are here today for a baby appointment....little do they know Edwards, Callie, me, and a few others started organizing a surprise baby shower for them so they can keep recovering without having to worry about more last minute baby items.

In the group chat we have going on every body is in position. I see Derek walking toward him, he must've been in surgery all night he looks like a ghost. I put my hand on his chest, get slightly on my tip toes and kiss him. "I didn't think that tumor would ever end, it was massive. What time is the shower?"

"Starts as soon as I find Alex and Jo, you're exhausted, no ones gonna notice if you're a few minutes late. Go take a power nap in an on call room" I tell him.

"Only if a certain doctor joins me" he says in a way that makes it hard to resist but I spent too much time helping set this baby shower up.

I peak my head around the corner and I see them coming, so I walk back a few steps the casually meet them.

"Mer!" Alex says happily as he gives me a hug, seeing him is like seeing a ghost. Not having him around here gets lonely at work.

I give Jo a hug as well, "how's my niece doing?" I ask trying not sound suspicious or spill the beans.

"She's doing great, everything is right on track. Keeps getting closer and closer!" Jo says with a big bright smile on her face.