Start Over

Chapter 49
*Meredith POV*

When we look back at the past, we look back with regret or confusion of the the dumb choices we made. Why we didn't make the right ones. We think about what life would've been had it we made a different choice.

I stare at the man who said my name. I'm staring at the guy who left me. The guy who used to pour my cereal when I was 3. The man who is...Thatcher Grey.

"Do you need something?" I ask him.

"Well, I was wondering if we could talk...I have some stuff I'd like to tell you." He says.

I look at Derek, telling him to take the kids to the car. I put Bailey down.

"Can you make it fast?" I ask Thatcher irritatedly.

"You see, I am getting married again. And I would like you to be there. I'd also like to catch up with you." He says.

He and I haven't spoken much since Lexie's funeral. I guess I should probably do the right thing. I mean, I gave him a piece of my liver...not for me, for Lexie of course.

It's only 7pm, I guess I can invite him over for an hour or so.

"Would you like to come over? Possibly meet your grandkids?" I say.

"Really? I would love that." He says excitedly. Wow he's serious about catching up with me. 

We walk awkwardly silent in the parking lot. He goes to his car and follows Derek and I home.

"Who is that mommy?" Zola asks me.

I pause for a moment. "Well...do you remember how Aunt Lexie and I were half sisters? Because we have the same father. But not mother. He is Lexie and mines father." I explain.

"He's your dad?" She asks me.

"Uh, yeah. Sort of. Not really." I say weirdly.

I text Cristina about it. She's shocked too.

We get to the house. Thatcher sits across from Derek who sits next to Zola, Bailey, and I. Ellis is in the nursery.

"Do you snore? Mommy snores really loud." Zola says.

I cut in, "I don't snore that loud."

Derek laughs a little bit. "You kind of do."

Even Thatcher smiles a little bit and says, "Yes, Zola, I do snore very loud."

We continue to make small talk. It's mostly coming from Derek and Zola. She loves meeting new people. This is a really awkward situation for me. Zola is starting to love him and probably thinks of him as grandpa now.

"Well it's starting to get a little late, Zola maybe you should go to bed." I begin to interject.

Thankfully Zola agrees because she's really tired. She goes up to Thatcher and gives him a hug and says "Night night!"

"Goodnight Zola, it was so nice to meet you." He tells her.

I carry Zola into the room and I tuck her in. "Mommy I like him, are we going to see him more?" She asks.

"Maybe sweetie. Things are just, complicated. Get some sleep baby." I whisper as I kiss her on the head.

I join Derek back on the couch. Thatcher asks about Ellis, "So how is your newest daughter?" He asks.

"She's great, her name is Ellis. She was born December 27." I tell him.

I can see he's surprised by us naming her Ellis. "She's wonderful," I add.

"That's great. Well, it was really nice seeing you again. And I really hope to see you there on Saturday." He says as he begins to leave.

We walk him out the door and before he leaves he says, "You know, Meredith, I really would love for us to start over. To start a new relationship." And then he gets into his car and leaves.

When I get to bed Derek brings up "Maybe you should try and start over with him. Maybe it'll be a good thing."

"I don't know. Maybe, maybe not." I say before I go to sleep.

At work the next day, I'm tell Maggie and Alex all about it in surgery. Maggie brings up, "He must've been that guy I talked to." I look at her very confused.

"Before you and Derek left for the night, there was an older man who asked me where he could find you. And I told him I didn't know but you might've already left for the night." She explains her story.

"You know, it wouldn't be the worst idea to start over with Thatcher. I mean, I tried to start over with mine then the bastard died on me." Alex says.

"Well he's getting married in 3 days and wants me to be there. Should I go?" I ask them.

"Of course!" Maggie says. "It's great to start over with people."

"Free booze." Alex says.

Our patient is a 6 year old that needs a new heart and is donating a kidney. So we have a domino transplant going on here.

I continue to think about what I should do as I bring the bannister that holds the kidney into the next OR where I hand it to Bailey.

I scrub out and go back to the lounge to rest. Wilson walks in looking for Alex I think. "Have you seen Alex?" She asks anxiously.

"Yeah I was just in surgery with him. He and Pierce are doing a heart transplant. Something wrong?" I ask.

"Oh it's nothing, we have our 12 week ultrasound in 20 minutes and he promised he'd be there." She says.

"The trick is to get them scheduled in the morning before any surgeries. That's the only way Derek could ever get there." I give her the tip.

I sit down and relax. Richard walks in to grab some coffee. "Uh, Meredith have you heard from your father lately?" He asks me.

That's a strange question, "Yeah, actually he came to see me yesterday. He's getting married in 3 days. Why?" I say.

"I could be mistaken, but I believe I saw him in the Pitt." He tells me.

Right as he says that, April walks into the lounge and says, "Meredith, I don't know how to say this but, I think your father is having a heart attack."

So when we look back at what we've done in the past, aren't we all praying to start over?

Author note:

I'm so sorry it's been over a week since my last update! I was sick all last week so I was weak to do anything. And I work the FSU football games as a drink vender with ROTC so that takes up a lot of time. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I can't wait for you all to find out what happens next!! I love you all so much, thanks for your amazing support!! ❤️

-Erin :)