It's How You Survive

Chapter 59
*Jo POV*

They say every obstacle you face makes you stronger. Once you've been through enough of them...you start to think maybe you're invincible. Most obstacles can be faced head on and luckily not always alone. But what do you do when the obstacle you're facing is literally inside of you? How do you conquer that?

It was only yesterday that I found out what was wrong with my daughter. Most mornings when I wake up, I smile because I'm in the arms of the love of my life and I thought my daughter was safe and sound.

I feel her kick and that's the first thing that makes me smile this morning. Alex  meant to call Arizona last night but we got a little caught up.

We head to the hospital, and I go to my consult. Alex is talking to Arizona and I can hear them talking outside the door. "Okay Alex, I'll see you later, I have a consult."

"About that" he says as she opens the door and see's me sitting on the table.

Her face goes blank. "Wilson?" She says. "When were you planning on telling me, your WIFE is my consult?!" She says to Alex.

Arizona begins an ultrasound to look at my daughter. "Ahh I see. There's good news and bad news. Well, first off, who ever told you these are tumors needs to go back to med school."

My anxiety starts to rest. She doesn't have tumors. But there is something wrong with her.

"Your baby has amniotic bands wrapped around her arms and left leg. The more your baby grows, the more damage they can cause. Complete amputation of the limb is the worst dad scenario. Good news is that we can operate very soon, and I am more than positive we will be able to free the arms and leg and she'll be deficit free." Arizona says.

The fear that had just been tamed now resurged. She has 3 amniotic bands. She's already being damaged before she's even born.

"I highly recommend that you have the surgery soon. It was luck that we caught it in time, and the longer we wait, the more damage may be done." Arizona adds.

"Let's do it, as soon as possible." I tell her.

"3 days from now...so Friday. Friday we'll operate." She tells us.

She goes over the risks, there's surprisingly quite a few deadly risks for me. But it's about what's best for me anymore.

Alex leaves before me because he's paged 911. Before I leave I need to ask Arizona something that hasn't left my mind. "Dr. Robbins...can I ask something?"

"Of course, what is it?" She says politely.

"I didn't do anything wrong...right? I mean I didn't do anything to cause the amniotic bands, right?"

"No, Jo, nothing you did or didn't do would've caused this. It's very rare. And we don't always know why but it just happens." She tells me with a warm smile that gives me relief.

I didn't do anything wrong. It gives me soothing relief, but not enough. Arizona tells me I should take the day off, she told me it would be a good idea to take the rest of the week off. But I told her I couldn't do that.

*Meredith POV*

Wilson shows up for rounds at the last minute. Alex told me about the consult today. Once we leave the patients room, she's clearly out of it, but she's fighting through whatever is bothering her.