One Big Happy Family

Chapter 40
*Meredith POV*

I never had siblings growing up. I do now. I had 3 half sister, now only two. I'm not used to the whole "One big happy family," stuff. Growing up an only child was lonely at times, but it's a lot better than having what I have right now; 4 sister-in-laws. One perky, one happy, one damaged, and one bitchy.

Derek's sisters and Addison showed up tonight. I basically avoided them the whole night. Addison greeted me like a friend. I guess her and I are friends, I'm no longer known as "and you must be the woman who's screwing my husband". The only one of Derek's sisters I don't like is Nancy. She's bitchy.

Everyone has gone home or to the hotel they're staying at. "Did you hear Jackson and April are having boy/girl twins?" I ask Derek.

"Yeah I heard, that's greats." Derek smiles.

"Can I tell you something?" I ask Derek.

"You're my wife, you can tell me everything." He says.

"I think your sister Nancy is a bitch." I tell him. 

He laughs a little bit. "Yes well, that makes two of us."

*Flashback to earlier that night*

"Ah yes Meredith the intern." Nancy says as she greets me. This time she didn't say slutty intern.

"Excuse me? I'm an attending general surgeon and co-owner of one of the best teaching hospitals in the nation." I tell her. "I'm also married now...to your brother. And we have 3 children."

*End flashback*

"She said that to you?" He asks.

"Nah, I just made it all up." I say sarcastically.

He laughs and we begin kissing. I hear our door begin to open. I throw Derek off because Zola walks in crying.

"Zo-Zo, what's wrong sweetie?" I ask her.

"I had a nightmare." She chokes out.

"Oh sweetie, I'm sorry. You can sleep with mommy and daddy tonight." I tell her. She crawls in between Derek and I.

I wake up a few hours later once the baby monitor goes off.

Derek's sisters all come in to the hospital today just to see what everything is like. There's bound to be an explosion sooner or later. I'm just going to be kind and act like a like talking to all of them.

I just want a break. I hate acting like a person who is super cheery and grew up with rainbows and unicorns.

I get into the OR where it's nice and quiet. April and I are on a trauma together. We have a guy that got shot in a hunting accident.

*2 days later*

The wedding is tomorrow, in my backyard. Everything is being set up tomorrow morning. Derek's sisters plus Addison and I are having a bachelorette party for Amelia. Zola is also with us, she's going to be the flower girl at the wedding.

We all make champagne toasts, except Amelia and Zola of course. "To, many happy years full of good sex, cool surgeries, ...." My list goes on and on.

At the end I hear a smirk from Nancy. I'm trying to be polite and hide the fact that I don't like her. "Sorry Nancy, do you have something to add?"

"Oh please, what do you know about love? You are Derek's midlife crisis!" She says to me. I want to literally punch her in the face.

"Lizzie take Zola outside." I ask her.

"Yeah sure. -Hey, Zola lets go out on the deck!" she says.

"You know what, you can say whatever the hell you want about me. I don't give a damn! Because you know what this is, this is mine and Derek's house that he built. And all those toys lying around those are for our kids! What Derek and I have is not a midlife crisis it's the real goddamn thing. We are married! We have a house. We have 3 beautiful children. What we have here is love! So I don't need your approval for my life. I don't need to prove to you that I'm not the same slutty intern you met 10 years ago!" I yell at Nancy.

"Meredith is now my maid of honor!" Amelia yells.

"You know what Nancy, you really have no right to come to Seattle and start judging Meredith. Just lose the bitch attitude. We came here to be a family because when was the last time we were all in the same room together?" Kathleen speaks out.

She and Nancy start going at it. To the point where Amelia, Addison, and I join Lizzie and Zola out on the deck.

"One big happy family, huh?" Amelia laughs. "At least it'll make a funny story."

Lizzie goes back in to try and break it all up then she gets caught in the middle of it.

"You're just jealous!" Lizzie yells at Nancy. "What's their to be jealous about?" Nancy smirks back.

"Stop being such a bitch!" Kathleen yells.

"Alright this is ending right now. I can't keep on watching World War 3 in there, no matter how entertaining." Amelia says as she walks back inside.

"Due to that fact I am the one getting married tomorrow. You all can do me a huge huge favor in shutting the hell up!" We hear coming from the house.

"So Addison, how's you son, Henry right?" I ask to break the tension.

"He's great, my brother Archer is babysitting him right now." She says.

We continue to make small talk about our kids. I tell her the story of Zola and Bailey playing with rocks.

When the war has ended we Addison and I rejoin the party. At least what is left of it. Nancy just sits down and shuts up for the rest of the night. She apologized but I don't think it was very sincere.

We laugh and we joke some more. Maggie and April show up later to hang out along with Callie and Arizona.

"I wonder how the guys night has been?" Amelia says.

"They're probably at Joe's. Or hitting golf balls on the roof of the hospital." I say.

Right after I say that, Owen walks in and says. "Amelia, we have a slight problem."