Off Day

Chapter 38
*Meredith POV*

The life of a surgeon is hectic. You work almost 24/7. Most of your friends are your colleagues- actually all of your friends are your colleagues in my case. You spend your days with your hands inside someone else's body. You give people the worst news imaginable and sometimes the best. But outside the hospital, we're just like everyone else, we need an off day.

The kids are sleeping. Derek is sleeping. Why am I awake? I check my clock. It's about to go off in 3 minutes. I think I have an idea. I text Alex to see if he is awake.

He responds quickly, "I am now". I lie and tell him Zola and Bailey are both sick so Derek and I are staying home today. I think he knows that I'm lying but he tells me he'll get Amelia or Nelson and Bailey to cover for us today. As far as I know, Derek has a craniotomy and a tumor removal for today. I had a gallbladder surgery today, but I don't know, it would be nice just to have the day to ourselves.

I tap the alarm as I rings. Derek wakes up with his McDreamy smile on.

"Morning, Mer." He says.

"We're taking the day off today." I say.

"What? We are?" He says with a smile.

"Yes we are. A little last minute arrangement planned. I mean we're downing. Work, kids, we don't get much us time. So we're doing whatever we feel like doing." I tell him.

"Oh I know exactly what we can do first." He says.

He begins to kiss me passionately. I feel a spark run through my body. I remember the first time I felt the spark. It was the time I realized I was in love with him back when I was an intern.

I take off my shirt and throw it across the room and Derek and I both laugh. He throws his across the room as well. We extend our morning sex all the into the shower. When we finish its only 8 AM. I go to check on Ellis and I feed her quickly before Derek and I crawl back into bed.

We hear a knocking at our door. I walk to open the door. "Mommy, daddy! We're late again. You're late for surgery" Zola says with Bailey by her side. I look back at Derek and laugh. Our kids are adorable.

"Actually kids, we're taking the day off." I tell them.

"I'm going back to sleep then." Zola says as she marches back to her room. I pick up Bailey and bring him to Derek. Then I bring Ellis into our room too.

Derek starts making pancakes for the kids and I. I walk up behind him and wrap my arms around him.

The pancakes he makes are amazing. Zola wakes back up around 9 and eats hers. We get the kids dressed and we head out to take a ride on the ferry.

*April POV*

I'm scared to death everyday of this pregnancy. I mean, I don't know if I can handle the loss of another child. I feel our little babies kick inside off me. It brings me so much joy knowing that they are safe and healthy. I'm getting another ultrasound today. I hope I can find out the genders today. I walk down the hallway to the room. I meet Jackson halfway there.

He puts his hand on my abdomen and one of the babies kicks right where his hand is. We walk into the room and get ready. I look into Jackson's pretty green eyes and he gives me a reassuring smile. Dr. Aiden is our OB again and he moves the ultrasound wand around. "It looks like you're having a girl."  He says. I kiss Jackson in excitement. I'm going to have a daughter! "And a boy!" He says. Jackson and I kiss again as he holds my hand. We're going to have a son and daughter! We get a picture of the ultrasound.

"We should start telling people that we're having twins and that it's a boy and girl." I tell Jackson.

"We should probably tell our mom's that too." Jackson says.

"You haven't told your mom yet? She knows I'm pregnant, right?" I laugh.

"Yeah she knows. She just doesn't know the number of fetuses in your uterus." He says.

I laugh. We walk back into the Attendings Lounge. Maggie asks, "Hey, how'd the ultrasound go?"

"We're having a girl." I say excitedly.

"And a boy." Jackson adds.

"Twins?!" Maggie says. "Oh my God! Congratulations!!"

*Meredith POV*

Today was great. Derek and I unwind a little bit. It's only like 5, Derek and I start thinking of what to order for dinner.

"Chinese" I say.

"Yeah but then we'd have to go out to the store. And we just got back home." He says.

I think for a second. "I'm ordering a pizza." I say.

"I love you." He says as he walks into our room and softly kisses me on the head.

I order the pizza. Zola loves the meat lovers kind so I order a meat lovers and a plain cheese one.

I change Ellis's diaper and bring her into the living room for the family time we're having. I hear a knock at the door and I assumed it's the pizza delivery. I get a little shock when I see who it is.

"Meredith!" She says as she brings me in for a hug.

I call Derek because he's needs to see who's here. "Oh my God, Hi." He says.

So just like normal people we need to relax, recover. Take a step back and breath a little. And we never know, we just might get a little shock at the end of the day.

Author Note:

Hey guys!!! I'm really sorry it's taken me a while to get this posted. I've been super busy. Anyway, I hope y'all like the little cliffhanger I'm leaving you. Who do you think is visiting Meredith and Derek? Also, I decided with the Japril Twins they are going to be boy/girl twins. (I actually have a twins brother haha) but I have some baby names in mind, but I'd like some suggestions so please comment!! One last thing, I just want you all to know I love every single one of you and your support of my story warms my heart so much!! Stay awesome!

-Erin :)