You're The One

Chapter 37
*Derek POV*

Owen sits in front of me. I look him in the eye. "Derek, I love your sister." He begins, "I want to make her as happy as she makes me for the rest of my life." Owen wants to marry Amelia. "I would like your blessing, to ask her to marry me."

"You're a classy guy. I like that. You need to remember, she has been to hell and back. She's been broken and she's put herself back together. All my life I've tried to take care of her. And if you hurt her, I will hurt you." I laugh a little. "You have my blessing. Just remember what I told you."

"Thank you, Derek. That means a lot."

We're outside on the deck. Meredith and all her girl friends are in the house. Avery and Karev walk out to the deck to join Owen and I.

We laugh and drink beer. It's a pretty decent night. The kids are all sleeping. Everyone starts to head out and Meredith and I hop into bed.

"Owen asked me if he could ask Amelia to marry him." I tell her.

She's pretty shocked. "Really?"

"Yeah. I made him promise to never hurt her in any way, or I'd hurt him." I laugh.

"That's great." She says. We start kissing and she takes off my shirt and I take off hers.
Things are going great and we both finish. "Wanna go again?" She asks. Her question is answered no when we hear Ellis crying.

Meredith holds her and calms her down. I smile because this is all I need to be happy. I wake up every morning and see the love of my life. I have 3 kids running around my house.

*Owen POV* *One week later*

I'm doing it today. I can feel it, today is the day. I have the ring. It's perfect. I have the box in the pocket of my scrubs. I see Derek, "I'm doing it today." I tell him.

He smiles, "That's great."

"I was wondering if you could help me out. I want her to be surprised and I want it to be special. I was thinking about asking her to dinner and I was going to pick her up and your house." I tell Derek.

"Sounds great. I can make sure she is there and ready. If you want I can get people over there and we can have a little celebration afterwards." He says.

"Thanks, that would be great." I tell him.

I see Amelia and I want to ask her to dinner but I got paged. There's an incoming trauma. I get down to the Pit as fast as I can. There is a bad accident.

"Page nuero right now!" Kepner yells.

I can ask her now. She and Derek walk at the same time to the trauma rooms. I call Amelia over. Meredith is on this case too. We get the patient up to CT. Huge subdural hematoma and a penetrating injury to the abdomen.

"Page Pierce too. I think there's fluid around the heart." Amelia says.

We get all the scans we need and we go into the scrub room. "You're not on call tonight. Right? If you aren't I was thinking you know, maybe I can make dinner reservations and we can have a nice night." I kind of let it out all at once.

She laughs a little, "Sure. Pick me up at my place."

The surgery is very complicated. A huge shard of glass in the man's stomach. Grey and I do our best to save as much bowel as we can. The brain bleed is complicated too. The monitor starts beeping out of control. His pressure drops.

"There's too much swelling in his brain." Amelia says. Then he flatlines. We do everything we can. Maggie uses the paddles. He's gone.

"Time of death: 15:34" I say. We clear out of the OR.

*Amelia POV*

Owen asked me to go to dinner with him. It's strange, we don't usually go out very much. But I kind of like the idea of it. Wearing a pretty dress, him in a suit. I think tonight's going to be a great night.

I think he might ask me to move in with him. I mean I kind of basically live in that trailer. Maybe he might propose. That scares me. But it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Derek knocks on the door of my room. "You and Owen going out tonight?" He says.

"Yeah. I don't know where though." I say.

"There's something for you in the living room." He says.

I walk out of the room. There's food on the tables like party food. There's candles on the table. Very romantic. I didn't notice till now, Derek is in slacks and his nice blue dress shirt.

Owen is at the front door. In a suit with flowers in his hand. "Before we do anything, we need to talk." He begins.

Derek leaves the room. "Amelia, I am in love with you. You're the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. And I hope I can make you as happy as you make me." He says before he gets down on one knee. A tear falls from my eye. I wipe it away quickly.

"Amelia Shepherd, marry me?" He says.

I'm in shock. I mean I thought this could happen. I don't think it would. He loves me. "Yes! Oh my God, yes!" I tell him.

I'm engaged to Owen Hunt. I hear clapping behind me as I kiss Owen and he puts the ring on my finger.

Most of our friends from the hospital are here. It's perfect. I kiss Owen again. And he holds me close and whispers "I love you," into my ear.

"I love you too." I whisper back.