XXIV - "Is this any way to greet a friend?"

The world was upside down: the night sky was where the ground was, and the real ground swayed sickeningly beneath him."Did you really have to carry me to the castle trussed up like a prized boar?" Main complained.

"It's traditional," Helena huffed. "Besides: if you hang out with traitorous cretin, you deserve whatever comes to you."

Helena's pooling orbs shone like green torches, illuminating the rough ground in front of her. The shuffling fan-girls followed the light her eyes created.

Main was lulled into unconsciousness by the lulling motions. After a nightmarish, nonsensical dream, he awoke in a dungeon.

*

"This is just my luck," Main groaned. "And what was up with Helena's eyes?"

There were footsteps approaching. Main bolted upright, looking around wildly.

"Who's there?!" Main yelled, wincing at the echo of his voice in the dark. The footsteps grew closer, and eventually Main was able to make out a wide, multi-headed shape moving to stand in the doorway.

"It's been a long time, Main," the figure said.

Main swallowed. "It sure has... Gregory."

*

Main shook his wrists. They were chained together, and shacked to the cold dungeon wall. "Is this any way to greet a friend?" he joked.

Gregory narrowed all twelve of his eyes, unspoken flames of anger burning in his pupils. "You have a lot of explaining to do, boy."

"You know, you're an awful lot scarier when I think you might actually set me on fire," he replied, trying to keep his voice level. "And since when have you called me 'boy'?" A bad feeling was growing in the pit of his stomach.

Gregory stooped under the doorway, and entered the room. Six crowns glistened darkly on his heads. "Ever since you killed Buttercup," he said, running his fingers over a selection of sharp, silvered tools on the table.

Main gulped.