LXVII - Buttercup the Black Hole

"We got that far," Helena snapped, her orbs latched on the destruction outside. "It looks like a swarm of erasers out there. What are you doing about it?"

"I don't know!" Main said. "This isn't-  it wasn't meant to happen like this."

"It's me, isn't it?" Buttercup said quietly. "This is happening because you brought me here. You've destroyed the world, for me."

"That's awfully emo," Main said. "Yeah, I'm destined to destroy the world. But I thought it would be in a 'reign and conquer' way, not in a 'destruction of all creation' way. Nothing's gone wrong so far; I didn't think it could."

"Would you mind hurrying up with a solution up please?" Helena asked. She glanced behind her, where the corridor was beginning to fade away. "This story's been one domino trail of coincidences after another, surely you can knock over one more."

Main looked around. His heart and lungs constricted in fear. "The universe is literally being erased. How can I reason with that?"

"I believe in you, Main," Bevan said. He was trapped between the white void and Typos now. "You'll think of something." 

The ground beneath Bevan's feet started to lift away.

"NO!" Main shouted. "BEVAN!!!"

Bevan smiled, as the eraser swarm took him. Then he was gone.

"Tell Greg that I love him," Helena added, as she faded too. Her green orbs were the last to disappear into the alien white void.

  Main dropped to his knees. "No-" 

His vision blurred. Wet tracks cut down his cheeks. Bevan. Helena. His friends, and everyone outside the castle... They were gone. And it was his fault. 

It was Buttercup, she was the center of his world, and he'd turned her into a black hole. They stared at each other in horror, as the eraser swarm closed in.

*

"So this is it then?" Buttercup asked, shaking.

 The world outside the window was empty now, and even the window had curled away to nothingness. The ring of things that still existed shrunk around them, eating away at the ceiling tiles.  

"I guess so," Main said. "I wish I'd spent more time worshiping  Ploteon, maybe we'd pull through this with an ex machina." 

He gulped, as the detail of the floor began to blur and lighten. They stepped towards each other as the erasers advanced. 

"Too bad you don't worship Editorin," Buttercup said sadly.

They stepped inward again, bumping into one another. 

"I'm sorry," Main said. 

"So am I."

They hugged, clutching to one another as the world disintegrated.