Chapter Thirty One

Four out of six updates!

Chapter Thirty One

Present

Odyssey

Like what he said, I kept the ring. I kept it, but never had I worn it. The night before he left, I surprised him in his unit with his favorite food. I even baked a cake with the help of my Dyma. Siya ang magaling magluto at magbake, eh. I also invited her, Zoe, Abby, Kirk, and Anthony at Apa's unit.

On the day Apa had to leave for Manila, I gave him a letter, but I asked him- No, I begged him not to read it in front of me or else, I would never talk to him again. I had to threaten him. Kulit, eh.

Hindi naman masyadong special yung letter, pero ayoko lang basahin niya sa harap ko dahil sobrang nakakahiya.

To my dearest boyfriend,

Just like the old times, isn't it? Or not? We're older and hopefully, wiser. Life doesn't get better, but hopefully (again), we do. You really never fail to make me feel so so sooo happy and special and I hope and pray you feel the same. You are special, love. You're worth every sacrifice and tears. I love you, Apa, Kap, Burger king, weirdo, poodle cone, and so on and so forth. Stay weird! I will miss you, my future pediatric surgeon!

Sincerely,

Your Prettiest Girlfriend

He also gave me a note. Maliit lang yung papel at konti lang din ang nakasulat katulad ng sulat niya bago siya pumunta sa Canada. He wrote, 'Diving fish, swooping geese' na naman. Sa baba, may nakalagay na, 'Google it.'

Sa sobrang curious ko, pagkaalis na pagkaalis niya, nag search agad ako sa google. It was an endearment. Weird. In Chinese, 'Chen yu luo yan'. A very beautiful named Xi Shi was so beautiful to the extent that the fish forgot to swim and dived to the bottom.

Si Wang Zhaojun naman, masyadong nagandahan yung mga geese sa kanya na nakalimutan na nilang lumipad hanggang sa nabagsak sila sa lupa. Kaya ngayon, when a Chinese man was in love with a Chinese a woman, sasabihin niya lang sa babae na, 'Diving fish, swooping geese' (BBC, 2015).

After he resigned, I was bombarded with so many questions on why he left. Was it because of me? Was it because I asked him to leave so we could be together or was it because he wanted to avoid me, because he got sick of me? Either way, according to gossip freaks, I was the reason why he left.

It had been months ever since he transferred to Manila. We didn't get to see and talk that much. Tuwing break niya, magtetext siya. Tuwing break ko, magtetext ako. Minsan, nagtatawagan. Hanggang kailan kaya kami ganito?

"You look sad," Sean said. Ilang buwan na lang, matatapos na ako sa pagiging intern ko. Wala pa rin nagbabago. Gusto ko pa rin maging psychiatrist.

"I just miss him."

He smirked. "Why did I even ask? Of course, you miss him." He sighed. "If you miss him that much, why don't you go to him? Tapos na duty mo pagkatapos nito, 'di ba?"

I nodded. "He's busy."

"I'm sure he'll be happy to see you there. Just because I'm a douche doesn't mean I'm a liar."

I looked at him, raising a brow. "You are a liar."

"Only when I have to."

Sean was still... Sean. His mom was still the same. He was still the same, but he wasn't that affected anymore. Hindi na siya pinupuntahan ng nanay niya dahil wala na si Apa sa hospital, pero wala na lang sa kanya. He was already used to being neglected.