||Five

Before I could blink my eyes it was already the Fourth of July.

I was so excited, but that day I felt crappy, but I was determined to make the day special.

I woke up that morning with an excruciating headache. I touched my head to remember I didn't have any hair left.

Sometimes, I cried because my hair was gone. Other times, I really didn't care.

I went into my bathroom to shower. My shower times have decreased from a half an hour to five minutes, just because I have no hair. Crazy what being bald can do to you.

I finished showering, dried myself off, and slipped on some high waisted shorts, my Captain America t-shirt, and my only pair of high top converse.

I just then put on my beanie so none of my baldness would show.

I put a little festive eyeshadow on, some waterproof mascara, and walked downstairs.

"Hello baby." Mom smiled seeing me actually dressed, instead of my usual pajamas. "You look festive."

"Thanks!" I looked down at my outfit then at mom. "Even though I'm feeling crappy, and achy today, I felt that I should enjoy today."

"That's awesome Kai." Mom smiled.

"Are you going to come? I think I'm going to ask Amber to go to the beach with me."

"Oh no, honey. I've got too much to work on here and—"

"Come on Mom! You can bring one of your friends if you want!" I tempted.

"No, thank you." Mom shook her head. But then squinted and threw the wash cloth she was cleaning with on the counter. "Oh what the heck, I'll go!"

"Yay!" I clapped my hands happily.

"I'll go grab some beach things. Can you make some sandwiches?"

"Yeah of course! What kind?"

"Just make some turkey. Whatever makes you feel less sick."

I smiled. "Okay. Hey, do you know if Ellen and Kallen are coming anytime today?"

"Um, yes. For dinner and fireworks."

"Yay! I'll start making the food."

~~
I had packed five sandwiches, knowing Alex and Hunter would probably come. I also packed, lemonade cans, chips, and Oreo cookies.

Mom and I got in the car. We had managed to shove all of our things in the back seats.

"So, do you think Hunter will be there?"

"I hope so. Amber texted our group chat and the boys said they'd be there, so I'm counting on them."

Mom smiled. "I'm sure you and Amber will have fun even if your boys aren't there."

"That's true. I need some quality best friend time, too."

Once we got to the lake, we parked and grabbed our stuff. I spotted Amber waving at me. I waved back. "Amber's over there, Mom." We walked over to where she was; I gave her a soft hug.

"I'm glad to see you outside finally!" Amber greeted, smiling.

"Yeah. It's not too bad out here. I'll definitely have to put sunscreen on my head though." We laughed together.

"Why don't you girls go get in the lake and have fun. I'll stay here." Mom grunted, setting down all the bags we brought with.

"Okay, thanks Mom!"