||Forty-Six

The next Monday, I went to school. I was slightly nervous, because who wouldn't be? I was gone for a month.

I was especially scared, because I knew that Shaun was going to be back. And I didn't want to face him.

He got sent home from camp early, last summer, because after the whole incident with Banquet, he bullied two people, and he got sent home. Camp rules are that if you get three strikes, they call your parents and get sent home.

He went home even before Banquet. I don't even feel bad, not even a little.

Anyways, I was waiting by the front door for Hunter to arrive. I hadn't seen him since that weekend everyone had visited me in the hospital.

I saw his car pull up, my heart immediately started pounding.

"Bye Mom! Bye Kal! See you after school!" I said, opening the door.

"Bye Kai! See you later!" Kal called back.

"Bye Kaila! Stay safe." Mom replied.

"Love you guys." I said finally, and shut the door behind me.

Hunter got out of his car, I practically squealed upon seeing him. "Hello my gorgeous girlfriend." His voice, trying to contain his excitement.

"Hello to you my handsome boyfriend."

I opened my arms, wrapping them around him. He did the same.

I would've cried, but I didn't. I just held him, taking in the scent of his cologne.

"I missed you," He said. "So much."

"I missed you even more."

"I don't think that's really possible." He laughed. He kissed my bare head, and gave me a squeeze, before letting me go to look at me. "You are absolutely stunning, have I told you that?"

"I believe, you said I was gorgeous when you greeted me." I laughed.

He smiled, grabbed my hand, and lead me to the passenger side of his car. He opened the door for me.

"Thank you, Sir Hunter."

"You're welcome, Lady Kaila." He winked.

I got in the car, and strapped my seat belt. He closed the door, walking around to his side of the car. He got in, buckled, and we drove to school.

"Hunter," I said after a few moments of silence.

"Hm?"

"I'm scared."

"Why, love?"

"Shaun. . ."

He said nothing after that. We were almost to school, when he grabbed my hand. He squeezed it.

"What's wrong?" I said, looking over at him. He continued to say nothing.

He parked, and instantly turned to me. "Kaila," He was choking up, still holding my hand, "Promise me you won't talk to him."

"Hunter, last time you said that, you said that about Alex at camp."

"Kaila, I'm serious this time. Shaun is bad, he hurt someone close to me, and I don't know if I want you to know who."

"Hunter. . ."

He moved his hand from mine, placing it on my face, looking me directly in the eyes. "I ca—" He held back tears. "I can't see you hurting. Just please, stay close to someone you know, and don't leave them until you're safe in a classroom. I will sit by you in the classes we have together, and at lunch, just please, don't talk to him."

By this time, tears were running down his cheeks. I put one hand on his face, wiping the tears from his eyes. I leaned in closer and pressed my lips against his. His breathing began to settle, and he felt a lot calmer. I pulled away from him, looking him directly in his beautiful eyes, the ones I could stare at all day.

"As you wish."

~~
We entered the school hand in hand, not wanting to let go. He leaned in and whispered in my ear. "I'll come and get you after first hour. Don't leave without me."

As soon as he said that, I saw Shaun on the far side of the cafeteria. I ducked my head immediately into Hunter's shoulder.

We walked up the stairs to my first class. "Hunter why are you protecting me?" I said once the coast was clear. "Shouldn't you be worried too?"

"I'm not a concern to him, he knows what happens when he messes with my friends. You, on the other hand, he hasn't seen you since Fusion. And I'm pretty sure he still likes you."

I wanted to scream. I wanted to know what happened, but I know Hunter wouldn't tell me.

I spotted Amber down the hallway. "Amber!" I practically screeched.

She turned her head, and her face lit up. "Kaila!" She said in return. She came at me at a full sprint and enveloped me in a hug when she reached me. "Oh my gosh, I missed you so so so SO much!"

"I missed you too!"

"Oh and don't worry, I will help you with your catch up, except art, can't help you there." She laughed a bit.

I laughed too. "Hey, where's Alex?"

"He's in the office, he had to do something." Amber replied, a little suspiciously.

"Okay. Should I be worried?"

"No, no, no." Hunter replied. "Nothing to worry about." He smiled.

"Okay. Then I won't." I smiled, with him.

"Come on, let's get you to class."