||Forty-Five

One. One and a half. Two. Two and a half. Three. Three and a half. Four.

In a short time, my two weeks turned into four. I was freaking done with hospital stuff. I was ready to be home, with mom.

"Well Miss Kaila. You are ready to go home for a few months!" My doctor, Doctor Arsen, smiled walking into my room.

I cheered. "No offense to you guys, though. I like you guys."

"Absolutely none taken. We like you too, but it's our job to get you home! Hopefully we won't see you until your next chemo appointment which isn't until after the New Year."

Thank you Jesus! I smiled.

"Well, shall we get you downstairs? Your mom should be waiting. We will bring you downstairs in a wheelchair. Don't worry, everything has been checked off and ready for you. We have your mom some meds, and we have a nurse just to come in and check up on you every week or so. Sound like a plan?"

I nodded, eager to go home. "Alright, lets go!"

He helped me into the wheelchair and pushed me out of the room to see a bunch of nurses cheering for me. They held up signs saying: Keep Fighting Kaila! and there were multiple balloons. I couldn't help, but smile.

Doctor Arsen pushed me down to the elevator that eventually lead to the bottom floor where Mom and Kallen were waiting for me.

They smiled wide as I came toward them. I knew they'd want to give me a hug, so I warned them to be soft.

They gently gave me hug each, and brought me out to the car.

"Now, just to warn you, she won't be able to walk very well, so just try to help her a bit when she needs it." Doctor Arsen said. I didn't realize he was still there, what a nice doctor. Normally it's the nurses that bring the patients out.

"Okay, thank you so much Pastor. It means so much to me."

Pastor? I looked over to him with wide eyes and he smiled. "No problem, Mrs. Jorden. Have a lovely rest of your day."

As we were driving home, I couldn't help but think about Pastor Arsen. It made so much sense, he was so gentle, and kind. I'd never met a doctor like him before.

Once we were home, I just wanted to see my friends. "Mom, can I invite Hunter, Amber, and Alex over?"

"I think it would just be best if you rested for today. You've had a long month in the hospital."

"But that's the problem, I haven't seen them since the first week I was in the hospital."

"I say, how about tomorrow after school? Tomorrow is Friday, if you want, you can ask Amber to sleep over."

I sigh. "Okay. I'll text them."

"Good." Mom smiled. "Now let's get you inside, shall we?"

She got out of the car, and went over to my side.

"Hey," Kallen appeared in the door.

"What are you doing here!" I said, almost screaming.

"Surprising you." He smiled widely.

"Mom!" I said, smiling.

"What? I knew I'd need help, and he has Thanksgiving break."

"I can't believe you're here! I missed you so much!" I said, reaching towards him to help me out.

I put an arm around him, and the other around Mom. I used my legs as best as I could, and we made it safely inside.

"I also heard about your hospital trip, and decided I needed to be with my baby sister for the time being."

I smiled, sitting on the couch. "You're sweet, you know that?"

He smiled. "So, how's school been going?"

"It's been going I guess, and the fact that I just spent an entire month in the hospital, I'm definitely gonna need some help with my homework."

"You're gonna do fine, plus you've got your buds."

I laughed. "Buds? Really?"

"What? I thought it was cute." He laughed along with me.

"Okay, I don't know if it's me being sick for so long, or you're being weird."

"It's defiantly you being sick."

After about an hour of just chatting, mom told me I needed to go to bed. So I did what I was told. With a little help from Kallen, I went up to my room.

Once I was on the bed, I felt instant relief. No more hospital, no more people interrupting my sleep. Just my comfy bed, and home. I didn't even bother to get ready for bed. I just covered myself up, and went straight to sleep.