Chapter 9

Jackie, Bobby, and Kathleen stayed with Jack in the hospital for two weeks. When he was finally discharged, he was transported from the hospital to Hyannis Port by ambulance with Kathleen, Bobby, and Jackie following behind in the car. When they arrived at the house, everyone was outside as Jack was gently moved from the ambulance into the house. He was on a stretcher and hadn't been allowed to walk yet. After Jack was situated in his bedroom, everyone gathered in his room to see him. Mrs. Kennedy began to tear up when she saw him.

"Mom, I'm here."

"I know, Jack. I'm fine," she sniffed.

Jackie stood next to Bobby as Bobby gazed at his brother, "Tell him how you feel, Bob," Jackie whispered in his ear.

"Kennedy men don't talk feelings," Bobby whispered in reply.

"Couldn't they start now?"

Bobby sighed, "I hate how you're always right."

"Good preparations for you when you get a wife... I pity that poor woman," Jackie giggled quietly.

They all stood around talking and then Jack grew tired. As everyone was leaving, Bobby lingered to talk to Jack. Jackie then went into the guest room and waited for Bobby. After a few minutes, there was a knock at the door, "Yes?"

Bobby poked his head in, "Hey, I talked to Jack."

"And?" Jackie asked.

"We're good and we talked and I feel better."

"That's all that matters," Jackie said gently.

"Goodnight, Jackie."

"Goodnight, Bobby," she said as he left the room closing the door behind him.

The next morning Jackie began to pack. She had to go back to boarding school the next day and luckily, she hadn't had to spend most of the summer with her mother and Lee. That night, Jackie said her goodbyes to everyone.

Bobby walked her home and when they arrived at her front door, Bobby paused for a moment, "I said this before and I'll say it again. I hate to see you leave."

"I know," Jackie sighed.

Just then, as Jackie was about to say goodbye, Bobby leaned in and planted a kiss on Jackie's lips.