Chapter 19

They allowed Jack to go home and Jackie volunteered to take care of him, "I feel partially responsible," was her explanation to everyone and so she took care of Jack. It was then she realized how much pain Jack lived with.

       The morning after the incident she went to wake him up. When she woke him up, he moaned and opened his eyes. "Good morning, sunshine."

       "It's a good morning with you," he pulled her over onto the bed and kissed her.

       "Jack," she protested.

       "The door's shut," he grinned like a bad little child.

       "It's Sunday, Jack. We have to go to church."

        "I need help getting up."

         "What?" Jackie asked confused.

         "Jackie, I cannot get up right now without help."

       She stood up and put her hand out for him. He pulled himself up using her arm and then sat up for a moment. As beads of sweat ran down his face, Jackie sat next to him and gently rubbed his back. He moved his back into her hand to help her effort and groaned.

         "Did I hurt you?"

          "No," he said as he grimaced.

         He turned his body so his legs were hanging off the bed and slowly began to stand. "Help me with my brace," he said breathless.

         He lifted his white tee and she grabbed the thick and heavy brace from his dresser. She buckled it quickly and then began to cry, "I had no idea how much pain you were in."

      "It's alright, Jackie," he said hugging her, "I'm alive and the most beautiful woman I know is my nurse."

     She hurriedly helped him get dressed and they stood together looking in the mirror, "Will you be my Mrs. Kennedy someday?"

     She smiled and nodded, "I will. Someday. Soon, I hope. I love you, Jack Kennedy."

      "I love you, Jacqueline Bouvier."

      They kissed passionately. Jackie ran her hands up and down Jack's back feeling the brace through his shirt. She broke the kiss off, "Now, I have to go out there and say that I woke you up and got your medicine. Not that I dressed you and we made out."

       Jack laughed, "Alright."

       She left his room and then met Bobby in the parlor, "Can we talk, Jackie?" he asked.

       "Sure."

      "I'm sorry about what happened last night."

      "It's fine, Bob. It was an accident."

      "Jackie, I'm sorry."

       "It's..."

       "No, I don't think I'm in love with you. I love you, but in a different way."

        Jackie slipped the engagement ring off of her finger, "Bobby, after thinking, I feel the exact same way. You're like a brother to me."

       She kissed Bobby on the cheek and placed the engagement ring in his hand curling his fingers over it.