Chapter 103

A few days later Jack was up and about because the cortisol pump finally began to adjust to his body and work correctly. Jackie hadn't seen her husband this full of energy in years... Maybe even decades. Despite all of that joy and excitement, Jackie felt the idea of her broken Bobby weighing heavily on her mind. So one evening after all of the kids and Rose were in bed and Jack retired to his study to read and do paperwork, Jackie announced that she was going to walk over to Bobby's. She walked at a fairly fast pace and knocked on the door when she arrived. No one answered, but the light was on. She tried the door and it creaked open, "Bobby!" She called.

There was no answer so she walked toward the light in the kitchen and found Bobby sitting on a stool all alone. He was scribbling something down quickly as buckets of sweat poured from his body. A bottle of pain killers and a half emptied bottle of whiskey sat in front of him on the counter, "Bobby."

"No, Jackie!" he yelled drunkly slurring through sobs, "You can't do this. I finally get the fucking guts up to do this! You don't get to save me. It would be better if I was dead!"

"Bobby," she said again quietly and gently as she took a few steps toward him. He closed his eyes as she touched his face with her hand, "Where's Ethie?"

"She left me... Took all of the kids and went to her parents' house. We're done."

"Oh, Bobby," she said breathily as she sat next to him, "What are you writing?"

"It's to you... You and my kids were the only ones I needed to apologize to."

She picked up the letter that has writing on it and read it aloud:

"My dearest Jackie,
I'm so very sorry to do this to you, but you see I must. Everyone is doing so well and it's better that I move out of the way. You'll forgive me in time. You have Jack and your kids. I wish I had Jack's life. I can't believe I was dumb enough to let you go. Jackie, I love you.
Forgive me."

Bobby looked into Jackie's eyes and saw the tears building, "Kiss me. One last time," he whispered.

He pressed his lips against hers. She smelled and tasted the half of the bottle of whiskey as the two kissed. She wanted to break away, but he held onto her tightly. He put his hands around the back of her head and the kiss lasted longer. Tears ran down both of their cheeks while the two's lips were locked. She felt Bobby's body go limp and he fell off of the stool. "Bobby!!!" she screamed in horror, "Bobby, no!" She cried. "I love you." She kissed his hand as she cried, "I've always loved you."

        Hours later, she sat in the hospital holding Jack's hand while they waited to hear something about Bobby. Finally, a doctor emerged, "President and Mrs. Kennedy," the two jumped out of their seats, "He's going to be alright. He has alcohol poisoning, but we've got an IV to hydrate him and his stomach's been pumped. You can go see him now."

       Jack dashed toward his room and nearly fell to his knees at Bobby's side, "Bobby," he cried, "Why did you not tell me?"

    "You didn't need to worry about me."

    "The hell I didn't! Bobby, you were going to kill yourself. I care, Bobby! I care! I can't lose another sibling especially you." Jack was sobbing on the floor of the hospital. Jackie stood behind him rubbing his back.

    "Bobby, we all love you. Even if Ethel and you get divorce, you still have us. It's going to be okay," Jackie said quietly.

     "I'm so sorry, Jackie. I'm so sorry, Jack," he said as he let tears escape his eyes, "I think I need to get some help."

     "I think so too," Jack said.

      When Jack and Jackie drove home to let Bobby rest, Jack very quietly said, "Do you love me as much as you do Bobby?"

       "Jack, don't be silly. Of course. I love you in such a different way than I do Bobby. Bobby's like a brother and a friend, but, Bunny, you're my husband and I love you so dearly."

      "Why did Bobby write that letter to you? Why not Ethel?"

      "He had alcohol poising. His judgement was off. Ethel had just left him. He didn't know what he was doing."

       "Promise me one thing, Kid. You'll always love me and never ever leave me."

      "Jack, I've kept that promise since the day I said, 'I do.'"