Chapter 12

Jackie showed the men out of the house and then walked back to the study. She didn't say anything, but she sat down next to him and put her arm around him. He then leaned on her and began to sob. She ran her fingers through his hair as she gently patted his head. She had no idea how long they sat there like that. When Jack finally looked up at her, his eyes were red and he was falling apart. "Jackie?"

  "Jack, I'm right here."

  "My brother is dead."

  "I know," Jackie said quietly before she finally began to cry, "I'm sorry, Jack."

  They hugged awhile longer while Jack tried to compose himself, "Jackie, I don't know what this family would do without you."

  "I don't know what I would do without all of you."

  Just as Jackie and Jack had calmed down a little, Mrs. Kennedy walked in the house, "Jack, I'm home."

  Jack closed his eyes and sighed, "Help me up, please."

  Jackie offered her hand and pulled him up off of the chair. She helped him hobble to the kitchen when they entered the kitchen Mrs. Kennedy's face went blank, "Jack, what's wrong?"

  "Mom..." Jack began to say, but then bit his lip and began to cry again, "I can't say it."

  Jackie took a deep breath, "Mrs. Kennedy, two men from the Navy came earlier today and Joe's plane exploded."

  Mrs. Kennedy put her hand over her mouth and then fell to the ground. She hadn't fainted, but her knees had gone weak. Jackie helped Jack into a chair and then kneeled by Mrs. Kennedy's side.

  The whole night was a blur for the whole family. It was a night full of tears and sadness. That night when Jackie went to bed in the guest room, she couldn't sleep. She got up in the middle of the night and went into the kitchen to find Mr. Kennedy sitting at the counter sipping at a glass of water. He was shaky and he had obviously been crying. Jackie pulled up the stool next to him and sat down, "How are you doing, Mr. Kennedy?"

  "Please, Jackie. You're practically family. Don't call me Mr. Kennedy. Call me Joe..." he trailed off and began to cry.

  "I'm so very sorry," Jackie whispered. He hugged her.

  "Thank you for everything."

  After they talked for a few minutes, Jackie left him alone and then went into the study where Bobby sat crying.

  "Bob," Jackie said gently as she sat down next to him, "You can't go to war. You can't do that to me or this family."

  "I have to now. I have to honor Joe. I can't be a failure."

  "Bobby," Jackie cried, "I love you."

  "I love you too, Jackie," Bobby cried and then pulled Jackie over onto his chest and kissed her head, "But I have to do this."