Chapter 46

"Is it Jack's?" Rose finally choked out.

"There's no doubt, Rose," Jackie responded calmly because she understood why Rose would ask, "I never cheated on your son."

"But... You've been separated for months."

"I found out two weeks after I left him. I'm due on December 15th."

Rose put her hand to her face, "Oh, honey!" she ran over to hug Jackie. She began to cry as she held Jackie tightly, "I'm so sorry for what he's put you through."

"I can do this, Rose. There's no doubt in my mind that I can do this."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    For Halloween, Bobby, Ethel, and Jackie decided that it would be fun for all of them to dress as characters from Peter Pan. Kathleen was Wendy Darling; Joseph was Doctor John Darling; Robert was Peter Pan; David was Michael Darling; Mary was Tinker Bell; Harrison was Mr. Smee; Bobby was Mr. Darling; Ethel was Mrs. Darling; and Jackie was Captain Hook.

    "You know, Ethie, this is the most fun I've had all year."

    Ethel laughed, "You know me too!"

    "Wait until Mom and Dad see us," Bobby smiled.

    "Jackie, I just can't get over the fact that you're Captain Hook," Ethel laughed, "And that this little guy is Smee!"

    Jackie giggled and then stopped when she looked up and so Jack in the distance. She remembered that he was campaigning and that he must've been passing out candy to win votes. "I wonder where she is," Jackie muttered.

      "We're having a great time. Just ignore him," Ethel whispered in her ear.

      Just as Jackie turned her head, she saw Jack running toward them out of the corner of her eye. Jackie, herself, hadn't seen Jack since the divorce was final. Harrison was very young and helpless and Jackie wasn't about to let Marilyn have him by herself. So the agreement had been Jack could see him at his parents' house and only there. Jack still didn't know that Jackie was carrying his child, but he was about to learn.

     "Hi," he said nervously to Bobby and Ethel, "Hello, Jackie."

    "Hello, Jack."

    His eyes were the size of tennis balls, "Can we speak, Jackie? Privately?"

    Bobby and Ethel glanced at Jackie to make sure she'd be alright and she nodded. Jack grabbed Jackie's hand and led her away.

      "Are you pregnant?" he burst out.

      "Yes."

      "Well, wanna elaborate on that any, Jacqueline?"

       "Elaborate on what?"

       "When? Whose? Why didn't you tell me? Any of those would work," he snapped sarcastically.

       "It's yours, Jack. I'm not a cheater like you," Jackie snapped back, "I'm due on December 15th. And I didn't tell you because we're divorced, remember? And we're divorced because I found you in bed with another woman."

       "I can't deal with you."

       "Oh yeah, just like how you can't deal with a crying baby, a dirty diaper, dirty laundry-"

       "Oh stop!" Jack snapped.

      "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go join my son, my nieces and nephews, and my friends."

      "You wouldn't have any of them if it wasn't for me."

      "I guess the whole world revolves around you and her. I wish you would've warned me that you were the sun. Maybe, I wouldn't have gotten my ass burned."

    "Jackie," Jack said grabbing her arm as she tried to walk away, "What if I fucked up?"

    Jackie's eyes filled with tears, "I don't know, Jack. I don't know," she whispered biting back tears.

    "Jackie, if it's worth anything, I'm sorry and if I could go back and undo everything, I would."

    Jackie nodded as she tried not to cry, but eventually broke down. Jack awkwardly stepped toward her and offered her a hug which she accepted. As they were hugging, Jack felt water on his shoes and then made eye contact with Jackie. She had a look of terror on her face, "Jack, I think my water just broke."