Chapter 63

"What are you doing?" Jackie mumbled pulling away from him.

      "I don't know. I just..." he put his hands behind her neck and pulled her face next to his and kissed her again.

      "Bobby, no," she said pushing him away, "I can't do this to Jack or Ethel no matter what's happened in the past. I love my husband and you love Ethel."

     "But, Jackie-"

     Jackie stood up, "No 'buts', Bobby. I'm going home to my husband."

He grabbed her hand and she ripped loose of his grip. She then walked back to her house and silently watched as Jack sat on the couch holding Arabella. While he rocked her gently, he attempted to teach Harrison the names of states. "What are you doing, sweetheart?"

"Teaching Harrison the names of states. It'll come in handy if I run for president in 1960."

"That's very true."

"Jackie, is something wrong?"

    "No," Jackie sighed, "I'm fine. I just need a nap. That's all."

    Jack smiled at her as she climbed the steps, "Go rest, Kid. I'll even have dinner ready for you when you wake up."

    Jackie couldn't sleep. She just laid there thinking about what Bobby had done.

     "Jackie," Jack said knocking on the door.

     "Holy hell," Jackie thought as the door cracked open, "I've been sitting here thinking about what Bobby did for at least an hour."

      "Hey, sleeping beauty," Jack said as Jackie snapped her eyes shut in an attempt to fake sleep, "I figured that if better wake you. You've been napping for almost two hours."

      Jackie pretended to wake up and yawn, "My goodness. Two hours?"

     "Are you feeling better?"

     "Yes. I'm feeling wonderful." Jackie then pulled Jack's face close to hers and passionately kissed him, "Mr. Kennedy," Jackie said, "Are the kids in their cribs?"

      "Yes," Jack replied grinning.

      "Then I think you and Mrs. Kennedy should spend some very special time together."

     Jackie put to rest any of the lingering thoughts about Bobby after she and Jack had been intimate. After she had gotten dressed again, she went downstairs to see Jack finishing up dinner. "Did you make dinner for us?"

"I did. The kids are fed, bathed, and in bed."

Jackie was shocked so she looked at the clock, "I guess I didn't realize how late it was."

"Go into the dining room and I'll serve dinner."

    Jackie smiled and went into the dining room to find two places set and some candles lit. "Oh, Jack."

    He followed in behind her and got her chair for her. After she was seated, he ran back into the kitchen, "Madame, tonight, we will enjoy, baked chicken and instant mashed potatoes."

    "Aw, Jack," Jackie smiled, "You're such a sweetheart."

    Jack sat down across from her, "I love you, Jackie."

    "I love you too," Jackie said as she grabbed his hand and held it. She gazed lovingly into his eyes.

    "What's wrong, Jackie? You look sad."

     "I'm not sad at all. I'm just thinking about what happened. You know? Just how different our life would be if we had let a speed bump like that tear apart everything."

    Jack smiled weakly as he gently caressed her hand, "And thank God it didn't."