Chapter 35

And it was. Jackie and Jack couldn't have been happier than they were on their wedding day. Marriage was blissful for a while until of course Kathleen's death. After that, the family was in disarray, but just like every tragedy they had suffered, they made it through.

The year was 1955. Jack's political career was outstanding. While Jackie was thrilled for Jack, she longed for a child and it seemed as though an impossible wish. Jackie and Bobby still took their evening stroll around the neighborhood and on one summer night, Jackie shared news with Bobby that would change her life forever.

"How are the little ones?" Jackie asked.

"Exhausting. How's Jack?"

"Busy. We speak on the telephone every day though. Bobby, I just have to tell you something or I might burst."

"What is it?"

"Bobby, I'm pregnant."

"Jackie!" he exclaimed hugging her, "I'm so happy for you! You've waited so long. Does Jack know?"

"Not yet. I'm going to tell him the minute he gets home."

They continued walking, both with smiles on their faces.

One thing led to another and Jack was kept away for nearly a month while Jackie anxiously waited to tell him the news. On the night he was supposed to arrive home, the telephone rang, "Jackie, I'm not going to make it home tonight."

"Why not?"

"Some stuff came up here in the capital. I promise that I'll be home next weekend."

"I'm gonna hold you to that, Jack," Jackie said slightly disappointed.

"I'm sorry, kid."

"I know," she sighed and then the two ended the call.

After changing into a nightie, she laid down in her bed and began to write in her journal. Just as she began, she felt a slight pain in her back. She squirmed a little and found some relief. Minutes later, a stabbing pain in her abdomen sent her running to the bathroom feeling like she was about to be sick. Jackie laid on the bathroom floor for a little while because it was cold and seemed to help her pain.

She fell asleep on the bathroom floor and woke up a couple of hours later in a small pool of blood. "No," she whispered as tears began to flood her eyes. She sat for a few minutes sobbing. She was weak and defeated. After gathering her strength, both physically and emotionally, she stood slowly and went to the phone. She picked the phone up and dialed for Bobby, "Bobby," she choked out, "Can you come to the house?"

"I'll be right there. Are you alright?"

She shook her head as she whispered into the phone, "I think I've lost the baby."