Chapter 22

Jack slept while Jackie sat beside him. She didn't want to leave his side. When Jack woke up in the morning, Jackie had already taken care of the paperwork for him to be discharged. They were ridden home in an ambulance and when they got home, Jack and Jackie fell asleep on the couch. Jackie was sitting next to Jack and he had his arm wrapped around her. When he woke up, he kissed Jackie on the cheek, "Are you alright?" Jackie asked waking.

   "I'm fine."

   "Do you need something?"

   "No," he smiled.

   "Are you sure you're alright?"

   "I'm really fine, Jacqueline."

   "I love you, Jack Kennedy."

   "I love you too."

   Jackie patted Jack's leg and then stood up, "I'm going to go make us some dinner."

   "Is it that late already?"

   "It's a little after four. I'll make dinner and if you're up for it we'll take a walk after dinner."

   Jack smiled as he adjusted himself on the couch. Jackie walked into the kitchen and began to prepare some grilled cheese sandwiches. She fished around in the cupboard for a bag of chips and then pulled it down. She quickly made the grilled cheeses and then poured water into two glasses. "Here, Jack," she smiled handing him a plate with chips and the sandwich on it.

   "We're eating in the sitting room? I feel like a bad kid."

   "It's alright. You're not feeling well. Besides, your mother can yell at me if she yells at anyone."

   "How the hell am I going to tell my father that once again I'm sickly."

   "Jack, he's your father. He loves you. Its doesn't matter."

   "It does to him. Joe was his hope for a Kennedy to be president and then he died so now it's me. I'm so god damn crippled."

   "Jack, stop it."

   "I can't. It's not easy for me to sit and watch them play football more now than play it because my damn back hurts."

   "Jack," Jackie said taking his face in the palm of her hand, "It's going to be alright."

   "Look at me, Jackie. Do you realize what you're getting yourself into?"

   "I don't care, Jack. I love you and I will be by your side forever."

   Jack kissed the top of Jackie's head, "I love you too."